Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ultra Classic won't start, no sound, nothing

Old 07-02-2007, 10:26 AM
NomadUC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Classic won't start, no sound, nothing

Couldn't find an answer after reading posts. Here is the problem. I've got a 2007 FLHTCU with about 7000 miles. One day, wanted to start the bike, hit the starter swich and nothing. Not a sound except the relay we could here clicking every time I hit the switch. Had to push the bike with friends to make it start. Once back home, turned off the bike and tried starting the bike again three or four times and the bike started every time. Went to dealer and they changed the alarm system module saying that the problem was there. For a couple of days, the bike started with no problems. Then, yesterday, here it is again. Went for a ride with friends, stopped for lunch and when I tried to start the bike, same thing. Not a sound except the relay we could here when pressing the start switch. Had to push the bike to have it start. Road back home (about 50 miles). Once back, turned off the bike and tried starting it four or five times. Started every time. When I went to the dealer the first time, before they start working on my bike, I remember the guy at the service telling me that if it was a problem with the starter, they were back order wich means.........any idea

Thank you

Old 07-03-2007, 09:15 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Classic won't start, no sound, nothing

dont know if this helps,, but I read where a guy had sim, prob.,,,
come to find out his battery in his fob was NFG.
in fact,, I'm going to get new Bat's today just in case.
never know what the shelf life was on those things???

Old 07-03-2007, 03:34 PM
NomadUC
Advanced
Default RE: Ultra Classic won't start, no sound, nothing

Thanks for the info. In fact, I went to the dealer again today with a different face. They are convince it's the alarm system. Told me that a cell phone or tower can interfere between the module and the fob and the alarm stays activated, keeping the bike from starting.. They asked for permission to install and try a japanese alarm system made for the new HD 2007 wich works like the old system, you activate and desactivate it yourself. I said yes and waiting to see if it's gonna work.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Neville Joffe
Stage I
Default Ultra Classic starting issue

I have a 2007 Ultra and am experiencing the same problem. Tried to start the bike on Saturday morning to go away for the weekend and it would not fire up. Had battery power but just heard the infamous "click". I thought it might be a loose wire connection somewhere and had the bike picked up by our local HD dealership. When the bike arrived ....bingo...it started no problem. $260 later for the pickup and 2 hours worth of labor to "investigate" the problem, still no clue about the problem. This is the third time this has happened. Did you make any progress that might help me? By the way, I don't have an alarm system!
Thanks

Last edited by Neville Joffe; 08-30-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 PM
pirateheadman
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My '07 Streetglide has done this twice in two weeks. The battery is good, power to everything when I turn on the key, hit the start switch and no clicks or sound but the fuel pump running. Jumper cables didn't help. Push started it and it fired right up. Got home, started every time everywhere I went for several days. The next time it happened I was in the exact same parking spot but that's where it sits every day. I have no idea.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Jackie999
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NomadUC
Not a sound except the relay we could here clicking every time I hit the switch.
If by "relay" you mean the starter relay in the fuse box, then the alarm kit they want to install will not fix the problem. The reason is because on the stock alarm system, the starter relay is inhibited to pick when the alarm is working properly. Since you hear the starter relay click, it tells you that the alarm system is NOT holding the starter back from turning. The alarm system module is saying OK=> allow starter relay to pick. => Starter relay picks but starter does not spin. That tells you it is NOT an alarm system issue. It is something DOWNSTREAM from the relay. They are blaming something UPSTREAM of the relay,, which it is not.

Did you tell the dealership you heard the starter relay click each time you hit the start button. That should have told them EXACTLY what to check.

(The above is based on the "relay" you hear clicking is in Fact the starter relay. You need to be more specific on exactly which relay you hear clicking. That clicking noise is the key to fixing the ROOT cause of your problem.)

Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

just a simple suggestion..

look in your service/owners manual. there is a sequence to follow for inputting the default (unless you changed it) security PIN using the turn signal buttons and ignition key sequence. this method allows you to start a bike when the FOB is either not present or non-functional. this will eliminate the FOB being the issue.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:22 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

and a comment:
if the dealer you brought your bike to is just going to throw parts at a problem they seem reluctant to be able to fix, then I would certainly look at another dealer to take it to. If they can't find this issue, I hate to see what would happen if you brought it in with a serious problem.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:36 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Going out on a limb here but take a look at the green wire on the starter solenoid to see if it is attached and in good condition.

You can also bypass the entire wiring on the bike by jumping a wire from the POS on the battery to that terminal on the starter solenoid to see if the problem is in the starter/solenoid or in the bike end of the wiring like the relay, switch etc.

If you do the jump method, make sure the bike is in neutral first. You can ascertain if the problem is in the starter or the bike doing this.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 AM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a bad ground to me.....just saying>>>>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ultra Classic won't start, no sound, nothing