Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros an cons

Old 03-25-2012, 09:49 AM
randydennis
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros an cons

Looking to buy a new bike road king / street glide. Really like the looks of a street glide. But everyone says the king is the ****. So before I drop the change thought I would a line out here an so what you all think

Old 03-25-2012, 09:57 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,871 Likes on 21,305 Posts

Rent and ride one of each and record your thoughts on each one and then look for your best deal based on your criteria.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 AM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Rent and ride one of each and record your thoughts on each one and then look for your best deal based on your criteria.
I agree. It all depends what you want the bike to do, how you ride, what you like, what you have the funds for, etc. Sit on them, ride them, stare at pictures on the internet, read about them here on the forums, and you'll know which to get. Both a great bikes and but each have some advantages and disadvantages.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 AM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went out to buy a SG. Started looking around and decided to go with the Ultra and put on a detachable tour pak.
Couldn't be happier, best of both worlds.
Oh yeah, I went from a RKC to the Ultra.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

this is america....we are the richest people in the world ....we don't have to choose....buy them both.....

Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I sold my Fatboy, I swore my next bike was going to be the road king. That was until they came out with the Street Glide. Bottom line both bike are great, but for me Street Glide all the way

Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my SG, but that doesn't mean it's for you. As the first person after you stated, go rent both. That's the ONLY way you'll be able to make an informed decision. For around 100-125 a day for each bike, you'll spend 200-250 for a day of each, but that will answer your question definitively.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:28 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had 2 Road Kings (FLHR's) and really liked them both. After I bought my 2010 FLHR, the Street Glides kept lookin' at me everytime I passed one. So one day I rode the King into the dealer for the 5,000 mile service and rode out with a black Street Glide. Anyway, I liked the Street Glide, but I always missed my King. Then when it came time to put money into the SG, I thought I'd buy another RK instead. Dealer didn't have any Road Kings, but had a leftover 2011 EG Classic for a really good deal, so I bought it. Anyway, the EGC is a great 2-up motorcycle, but I still like the Road King best.

Attached Thumbnails pros an cons-sam_0110.jpg   pros an cons-100_0571.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 01:53 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

If you can swing the extra $, then the Streetglide is the way to go. I've been down the same road your traveling, I bought a Softail a few years back and "kicked myself in the ***" every time I passed a SG on the road. Now I own 2 of them...lol.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SG & RK share with minor differences, all the major components...frame, engine, trans, brakes, suspension... So it basically comes down to the looks of a Fairing or no Fairing. You can always do what so many have done, get a RK with a detatchable Fairing. Basically the best of both worlds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pros an cons