EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New Top End Rebuild with pics

Old 03-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Cleetussnow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Top End Rebuild with pics

Working on the top end of 1998 road king. Concept was lost on the General HD Forums so I figured best to post here where people appreciate a fine set of jugs.

Anyway, I had the top end redone at Hillside Cycle. head / Valve work, new springs, etc.

Installing ev 27 cam (waiting for metal breather gear to arrive -saw plastic one and declared it junk)
New wiseco pistons
S &S adjustable push rods
new tappet rollers
installed a new starter

Thinking of adding a new ignition module. Not sure of what to do here just yet.

So I have a cam bearing removal assembly tool. I am nervous to push that tool into the cam bearing, and then have the bearing explode into the crank if I tap it in. Does tapping it in work with no issues? I got the tool from Heritage products on Amazon. this seems important not to screw up. I have the cam all removed except for that bearing, so the pic attached is prior to that.

Also, I did not install the rocker boxes, but mocked them up to see what the blacks would look like with the center peice being chrome. I kind of like it - with some more chrome it will look good. But all black will look good too. Any views on that are appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails New Top End Rebuild with pics-new-picture.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Bama91
Tourer

Looks great! Keep em coming.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 PM
FXD_One
Cruiser

Damn that looks sweet...!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cleetussnow
Working on the top end of 1998 road king. Concept was lost on the General HD Forums so I figured best to post here where people appreciate a fine set of jugs.

Anyway, I had the top end redone at Hillside Cycle. head / Valve work, new springs, etc.

Installing ev 27 cam (waiting for metal breather gear to arrive -saw plastic one and declared it junk)
New wiseco pistons
S &S adjustable push rods
new tappet rollers
installed a new starter

Thinking of adding a new ignition module. Not sure of what to do here just yet.

So I have a cam bearing removal assembly tool. I am nervous to push that tool into the cam bearing, and then have the bearing explode into the crank if I tap it in. Does tapping it in work with no issues? I got the tool from Heritage products on Amazon. this seems important not to screw up. I have the cam all removed except for that bearing, so the pic attached is prior to that.

Also, I did not install the rocker boxes, but mocked them up to see what the blacks would look like with the center peice being chrome. I kind of like it - with some more chrome it will look good. But all black will look good too. Any views on that are appreciated.
Yes, I do appreciate nice jugs!!! I even appreciate even not so nice ones!!!
I bought the Jims tool for that and I dont remember it being hard to insert into the bearing. I would put a light coat of assembly lube on it and see if yo can just shove it in there. Unless it's really tight it aint gonna push the bearings into the case.
As far as the black vs. chrome, personally I like enough chrome to accent the bike, not overwhelm it as some like to do. I also tend to black out alot of things most folks chrome. Makes for a clean look. I rebuilding my shovel and I've painted the engine cases, cylinders, rocker covers, tranny case and inner primary case with the HD teture black paint ($$$!!!). Here's a pic of my 85 wide glide I did that way (cept for the rocker covers).
JUst my .02 cents!!
Have fun,
jim

Old 03-31-2012, 04:57 PM
theyammieguy
Cruiser

Looks good. Your mods are the same that I have planned for my evo. What compression ratio did you go with?

Old 03-31-2012, 10:30 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with your build!
jim

Old 04-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Cleetussnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by theyammieguy
Looks good. Your mods are the same that I have planned for my evo. What compression ratio did you go with?
went with 9.5 -1. Nothing crazy but should be a lot better than before. with the cam etc. this will be a good setup. I put on a new starter as insurance really, but with more compression the old one would be aching.

I just got the metal breather gear in the mail, so I got started on the cam. Sitting there now with the old cam bearing out, tappet blocks off and cleaned up, just waiting for me to get back from a trip to finish the job. It's all assebly from here.

Also waiting for some new throttle cables., and will be adding a dynotek 2000 as well. Depending on things go i will go to a tuner.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Cleetussnow
Advanced
Default update with pics

Update!

Needed the gasket for the fuel injection - machine shop sent me the Carb gasket so waiting for that. Put new throttle/return cables in this weekend, used the old school kind from Barnet, and tapped holes in the control housing and threaded/tightened the cables Looks great and they feel tight.

Fuel pump/lights/starter all work, and so does the fuel injection as far as I could tell without running it

Remaining items
Need to install the exhaust
Need to adjust the Clutch and add fluid to primary (all other fluids in)
Need to install floor boards
Need to install the air cleaner cover (rocker arm tube inserts made me nuts this weekend so I stopped workign on it for awhile!!!)

I hope to test fire after work this week.

Attached Thumbnails New Top End Rebuild with pics-72914_289494561128456_100002037449162_668710_1709595790_n.jpg   New Top End Rebuild with pics-553669_289496687794910_100002037449162_668711_1083156577_n.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 01:49 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

She looks real good. I'll never understand though why they went and out efi on a perfectly good EVO

Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Cleetussnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
She looks real good. I'll never understand though why they went and out efi on a perfectly good EVO
thanks man...can't wait to get the pipes on this week.

I actually have come around on Fuel Injection in general. I have snowmobiles and the carbed ones give me fits. The evo EFI have their detractors, and that may happen to me but for now all good.

the problem I got is there are only a couple of model years with Evo fuel injection, so parts are no fun. I JUST located the correct coil! I will wait to baseline tune before I install it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Top End Rebuild with pics