Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

S&S E carb on 1340 shovelhead ?

Old 03-30-2012, 09:50 AM
french harley lover
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&S E carb on 1340 shovelhead ?

Hi,

I am considering replacing my 1340 Shovelhead's current old Mikuni carb
by a S&S "E" carb.
Any thoughts suggestions ?

Bernard

Old 03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a Mikuni that is already an improvement over stock! I dont think you'll get much more out of a S&S to qualify the $$$! The stock carb was junk as far as I'm concerned.
I'ld leave the Mikuni on it.
Just my .02 cents!!
jim

Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,740 Likes on 18,543 Posts

I've got an S&S E model on my Shovel and it's an excellent choice ... also very easy to tune .... but ... unless you're having unresolved problems with the Mikuni, I'm not sure you'd reap enough improvement to offset the extra expense of the S&S. Here's a link to a site that's got some information and might be able to help. http://www.sudco.com/mikuni.html

Old 03-30-2012, 02:28 PM
french harley lover
Novice

Thanks,

I am actually having serious issues with my Mikuni and I am looking for a good replacement, hence my question about the S&S e carb.

Bernard

Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 PM
ROTTEN ROB
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a S&S Super E on my 76 FLH. Love it, as stated ,easy to tune and work on.Some people hate them,"They are hard to start", I snap the throttle about 5 times,with enrichment lever all the way up.Fires right up..(cold start)....Great throttle response .

Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Not much to add other than the Super E needs rejetting if you change altitude of more than 5000 ft. If you sayed in France, there would be no real issues. If you take off across the Alps to Italy, or decided to cruise through Switzerland or Austria, rejetting would need to be done. (Been there, done that)
As others have said, a stock Keihen CV is a piece of junk in stock form. There are several people on this forum that can work one over and it is actually a pretty damn good carb, and you would not have the jetting issues you would have with a Super E.
Just for clarification, I think Mikunis are junk.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:02 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you can tell there is alot of opinions based on each person's experience. So here's mine; If your having trouble with the current carb and you're set on replacing it, then an S&S is a great choice but overpriced. I love em but I also know how to tune one. I am currently running Super E's on 2 bikes. And I'm putting a Super B on my 75 shovel build. Are there better carbs? Yes. Cheaper? Yes. Simpler and easier to tune? not likely.
Altitude differences are a factor but not a show stopper. (I frequently ride from near sea level to Montana and Colorado mountains) And as previously stated, dont buy used unless you know where it's been. Someone may have made 'mods' that cant be undone.
I would also recommend a (new take-off) CV carb. Better fuel economy (most times), than an S&S and no problems with altitude and good power.
Bottom line is go with what you want and learn how to tune it and you will be happy!! (Hopefully)
jim

Old 03-31-2012, 10:28 PM
larry petersen
Novice

I run a S/S E on my 76 FXE stroked to 84 in. and swear by it, I;ve run and older Mikuni on my 69 sporty but hell that was years ago so, Been running a S/S Super B on that same bike for 20 plus years now. The S/S carb is hard to beat and easy to tune; in my opinion.............

Old 03-31-2012, 10:55 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i had a super e on my last shovel with a 1340.. ran great. fastest harley i have ever ridden..sometimes you get a slight dead spot in the midrange, it isnt that bad. easy start, always started, great low, even better top.. just got a 1200 sporty with a super e.. havnt noticed any problems at all, runs better then my 01EG.. haven't opened it up on the e way yet, but expecting it to fly..

Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by french harley lover
Hi,

I am considering replacing my 1340 Shovelhead's current old Mikuni carb
by a S&S "E" carb.
Any thoughts suggestions ?

Bernard
Sorry you cannot get that double Mikuni to work out, but it is really for racing set up and not so much for street use (but it sure looks cool). S&S e carbs work well with shovels, easy to set up. Not sure what they come stock with (jetting and such) so you might have to change jets to accommodate the size of your motor.

They have a good web site with a technical page of instructions for carbs as well as a quick guide for the carb.

http://www.sscycle.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S&S E carb on 1340 shovelhead ?