Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Willing to show my ignorance, Compensator Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:47 AM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Willing to show my ignorance, Compensator Upgrade

Thanks to this forum, I have been doing upgrades I didn't even know I needed to do. The list is long; exhaust, speakers, radio, amp, windshield, grips, heated gear, etc. My latest two obsessions are shocks and replacing the compensator. I get the shocks, hit a bump, makes you uncomfortable, get $900 shocks to make me feel better. Ride longer, feel better, okay I get it.

What the heck does the compensator upgrade get me? What am I missing. I don't even know what the heck the compensator is but feeling like I need to replace, lol. Feel free to have fun at my expense. I can take it.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

F it, just ride it, no sense in spending money on that crap until its necessary, you might sell the bike or wear it out long before that thing goes. we got people in here that have to replace every freaking part on a bike before the rings ever get seated.

This explains it well from another older post. if you dont ride it real hard, i wouldnt worry about it really, if your in it all the time and ride it hard, you may want to step up to a stronger comp, just my very limited opinion.

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
The compensator sprocket dampens (reduces) torsional vibration created by the crankshaft so it is not transmitted through the drivetrain causing rider discomfort and premature component wear.

Patent definition: A shock-absorbing sprocket or gear assembly or like torsionally elastic device is described having resilient cushioning means interposed between mating lugs of the hub and rim to smooth and dampen torsional shocks and vibrations produced by a power drive train. An improved radial bearing surface is provided which maintains symmetry of the bearing load with respect to the drive, and which ensures concentricity between the hub and rim and keeps the rim from wobbling axially or orbiting radially with respect to the hub during operation. The cushioning means are configured relative to the hub and rim to accommodate angular displacements of at least 9°.[8D][/align][/align][/align]

Last edited by Jeff W; 04-03-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

What year is your bike? 11-up have the SE compensator.

[edit] Just looked at your profile, 09 Street Glide - there have been problems, but again, not everyone, and as stated above, just ride it.

Most notable symptom is a pronounced bang on startup.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Compensator is on the left here:

Last edited by Keithhu; 04-03-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 AM
mcw999
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Had an '07 FLHTC. At around 70K miles the compensator began to make noise, and I had it replaced. If it fails, it will disintegrate and introduce metal fragments into the primary which is not good. The SE compensator is a more robust part. There is no performance advantage that i know of, it is just a failure avoidance action.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:07 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Wasn't concerned about my Comp until started banging on hot start up's at around 30K the last 21 K has been nice with smooth operation and Starts even after putting SE255 Cam's in at 40 K ... But if don't have any symptons don't worry about it ..

Old 04-03-2012, 05:32 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 133 Posts

BrandSS, Good question. I don't mind admitting I was wondering the same thing. Now... What is a strator. And what does it do? Kiethhu, Another picture would be great. Thanks

Old 04-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Stator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stator

Behind the compensator: http://www.google.com/search?q=harle...w=1440&bih=775

Stator repair series, 1 of 9, you will see the others on the right if you click on the link that takes you to the youtube page (vs watching it embedded here): [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXI5wZ4_PFU&feature=related[/url

Last edited by Keithhu; 04-03-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Seems to me there are more complaints about the SE compensator failing rather shortly after installation than the stock comp. If you are not having problems, or don't have a need to get into the primary, leave well enough alone.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:27 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My '09 Ultra Classic had a large bang at startup from the get go. Every time it started the compensator would sound like it was coming apart. Unfortunately it was not bad enough to be replaced under warranty naturally. Harley-Davidson's favorite line is, "if it ain't broke we can't fix it." Rather than get stranded AGAIN, I opted to have the compensator changed to a new SE compensator and it turned out to be the best money I've spent so far on the scoot. It has a much smoother start now so I guess peace of mind is worth something.

Last edited by shortride; 04-03-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Nut08Ultra
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

HA... I was just going to post the same question cuz I saw another thread about it and I get a hard knock now and then. Didn't really think much of till I read alot of these posts. Not sure what I'll do, but at least I know what this is all about. Sometime I love forums for great info... other times I think it can cause paranoia or anger towards things. Its just trying to filter out what is good info and what really is someone who got a lemon and it really won't happen to the rest.

Quick Reply: Willing to show my ignorance, Compensator Upgrade