General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam chain tensioner problems with an 88

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 02:33 PM
tom1169
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cam chain tensioner problems with an 88

Has anyone been notified from the Motor Co. that we may have a problem the cam chain tensioners? Can you find it in your manual when you should inspect for it? Is it listed on the schedule maintenance page? I could not find it. Nor has the motor co. sent out any info on this, that it may be a problem as per the Customer Rep. from Harley. Mine went at 30k. The motor co. said they don't give any assistance on help with the bill, but if you haven't paid the dealer for the work yet, you should negotiate the bill with them. I said it is not the dealers responsibility to publish a warning letter for a known problem that Harley has, but the Motor Co. I think the Motor Co. should review it's policies. Issue a notice that said part maybe faulty and to have it addressed at nearest Dealer. I won't hold my breath..... Tom1169

Old 04-03-2012, 02:36 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,651 Likes on 2,672 Posts

Yeah, known problem... good luck with that.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:51 PM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum, tensioners,,,ask anybody that has an early twinkie they'll tell you.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:59 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done 2 upgrades to the Hyd Camplates in the last month. Have a RK on the lift to finish tonight or so. Well know problem but no help from MOCO, except they are happy to sell you the upgrade.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Trouble is they can go anywhere between 15,000 and around 60,000 miles so the company aren't really bothered, but if say by 05 they deffinately knew there was a problem they should have come up with and fitted the hydraulic type as is standard on the 96 engined bikes, being how Americans always seemed to be sueing people I'm surprised someone hasn't taken Harley's to court on this.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Known problems are not covered under warranty....

Old 04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,651 Likes on 2,672 Posts

I hope mine lasts until I can scratch together the money for 95" kit. It would just to have to go into there and leave the stock bumpsticks in it.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by magna
Trouble is they can go anywhere between 15,000 and around 60,000 miles so the company aren't really bothered, but if say by 05 they deffinately knew there was a problem they should have come up with and fitted the hydraulic type as is standard on the 96 engined bikes, being how Americans always seemed to be sueing people I'm surprised someone hasn't taken Harley's to court on this.
I've thought about it. Got an 05 that will hit 70K tonight on the way home. Have not replaced the shoes yet. They looked pretty good last winter at 55K. I spoke to dealer, they told me they would NOT replace old style shoes. They only do the upgrade cam plate/oil pump and of course recommend, new bearings upgraded cam, adjustable push rods, lifters, exaust, power commander, dyno. What kind of F'n racket are they running over there. I'm not ready to upgrade yet. Yeah, nothing in the owners manual or service manual about even checking those F'ers.
Should have been a class action suit a long time ago on this one. I realize that a retro fit for free is expensive. Yeah, I've been one of the luckier ones so far but I'm on borrowed time now. I can't afford what the dealer "thinks" I should do.
I've got a slight oil seep in the rear rocker cover, so I know I will have to remove the tank to change the gasket. May as well slip the push rods out, clamp up the lifters, remove cam chest cover, take out the plate and replace the shoes myself. May take a couple of days to do but .....

Old 04-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cromagnon:

You don't need to remove the tank. J&P cycles sells a relatively inexpensive flat wrench made specifically for that purpose. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/910-104 It just slides in under the tank. Unless, of course, you WANT to remove the tank, that is....

Last edited by Roadking Cal; 04-03-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Wrong part #...
Old 04-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

You're gonna drop coin on repairing them. One of the best thing anyone can do for a twin cam is go gear drive and get rid of the chain and tensioners, of course ya should also replace the rods and lifters.

Quick Reply: Cam chain tensioner problems with an 88