Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light switch question

Old 04-06-2012, 10:36 PM
gregfri
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake light switch question

Went for a ride on the interstate today, came up to my exit ramp, tapped the foot brake to disengage my cruise and nothing happened. After trying the rear brake a couple of more times, I applied the front brake and the cruise switched off. I never gave it another thought after that, but when I got home I did some checking and realized the brake lights don't come on when I apply my rear brakes. It was dark by the time I got home so I did'nt look around too much, but I am wondering where the rear brake light switch is located and if it is common for it to quit working? I do have a service manual and will read up on it tomorrow, just wondering if anybody has any advice of where to start trouble shooting.
P.S. I have an 2007 Ultra

Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn’t bet my life on it but would bet the cost of a new switch. Besides Harley there is an automotive cross referenced switch - Volkswagen, if I recall. The switch is near the tranny side-plate.

Easy and obvious how to replace once you see it. I have heard of people replacing it without losing significant fluid but I’d have the appropriate fluid for your bike standing by.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:55 PM
gregfri
Advanced

Thanks for the reply, I'm hoping it may be a loose wire, but suspect it is the switch. Daylight should help to find the problem

Old 04-07-2012, 12:00 AM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine went out on my '09 RKC. Installing a new switch was an easy 15 minute swap out, lost no brake fluid, didn't have to bleed the brake, still rock hard. By the way, if you do it yourself, you will need a metric end wrench - go figure!

Your scooter might be covered under a recent recall so it might be replaced on HD's dime.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:43 AM
68_340_Cuda
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a recall for that switch on my 11 SG, maybe there's been a problem longer than they realized.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Recall

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Mine went out on my '09 RKC. Installing a new switch was an easy 15 minute swap out, lost no brake fluid, didn't have to bleed the brake, still rock hard. By the way, if you do it yourself, you will need a metric end wrench - go figure!

Your scooter might be covered under a recent recall so it might be replaced on HD's dime.
All 09 touring bikes have a recall for the switch. I'm not sure how far year wise it extends either way. I had mine replaced under recall.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 AM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
Old 04-07-2012, 08:13 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Normally the cruise control will not work at all if one of the brake light switches is not working. If the cruise control will not disengage at all there has to be something really wrong because that potentially could be a major safety and liability issue.

The rear brake light switch stopped working on my '09 Ultra Classic last year and the first thing I discoverd was that the cruise control wouldn't work.

Last edited by shortride; 04-07-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 AM
gregfri
Advanced

The cruise works fine, disengages if the front brake is applied. I check my bike over regularly , but I know that I usually check to see if my brake lights work by sitting on the bike and applying the front brake, which in this case makes the brake lights come on. I don't know how long the rear brake has not activated the brake lights, but this explains why my buddy was telling me that I needed to give him more warning when slowing down when I was in the lead. I usually warn the rider behind me that I am slowing by applying my rear brake a few times so they can see my brake lights. I always assumed that if the brake lights worked with the hand/front brake applied, they would also work with the rear/foot brake applied. Something to check next time you get on your bike!

Old 04-07-2012, 09:57 AM
DAWG_6
Road Captain

Same thing happened to me with my '09 FLTR.....I don't know if the '07s are included in the rear brake switch recall....I changed mine out relatively easy.....just picked one up from my mechanic...drag specialties....worked fine after that....Good luck.