Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydaulic Tensioners shot at 20k!!!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:28 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Hydraulic Tensioners shot at 20k!!!

I don't know if this is kosher or not (posting a link to another forum), but check out this guy's message! Incredible! If this turns into a common problem, I am SO done with Harley Davidson. If it turns into a common problem it needs to turn into a class action lawsuit, which it should have been all along. Where is some enterprising attorney when you need one? <grin... sorta... then again, maybe not.>

http://www.aimag.com/forums/harley-t...html#post94446

C#

Last edited by cwsharp; 04-08-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:38 AM
challutz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats just great my conversion kit will be here tmrw. Now im gonna be thinking about the tensioners AGAIN

Old 04-08-2012, 08:41 AM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 08 Dyna had 20K when I traded it. Just for the hell of it, the last oil change I did I cut the filter open. LOADED with plastic bits from the "new and improved hydraulic tensioners". Got rid of it soon thereafter.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:41 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Yeah... I agree. That sucka isn't just worn out... it's destroyed!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,515 Likes on 3,772 Posts

If you look closely you can see why this happened like this in this case. It appears someone updated the system with a roller chain on the out side last time. This is in the upgrade kit. You can see the roller chain wear on the outer one. However the cams need replaced to update to roller on inner one and hence it wears just like link chain ones. Been trying to tell everone on here that you either need to check and monitor link chain wear or convert completely roller inner and outer. Its not the new hydralic that fixes the problem. It's the chain. The roller ones will go 100K. JUST MY OPINION.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:53 AM
challutz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope thats the case cause I think with my andrews kit and cams I get roller chains for both inner and outer

Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
If you look closely you can see why this happened like this in this case. It appears someone updated the system with a roller chain on the out side last time. This is in the upgrade kit. You can see the roller chain wear on the outer one. However the cams need replaced to update to roller on inner one and hence it wears just like link chain ones. Been trying to tell everone on here that you either need to check and monitor link chain wear or convert completely roller inner and outer. Its not the new hydralic that fixes the problem. It's the chain. The roller ones will go 100K. JUST MY OPINION.
Well, that makes sense but it doesn't let HD off the hook! The 'kit' should only come with a requirement that the cams are changed, also (his looked like it wouldn't hurt). I did change my cams to Andrews and got new chains on both sides...

Still, this is really, really dumb.

C#

Old 04-08-2012, 09:01 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Subscribed .. got to follow this one.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,515 Likes on 3,772 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
Well, that makes sense but it doesn't let HD off the hook!
C#
Totally agree. In fact Harley tried to hide the problem in bikes like mine by implying they fixed the problem with the hydralic tensioners. They still sell the update hydralic kit with only the front roller chain and leave the link in the back. If the back linkchain sprockets were replaceable (like the front) on the cams for the roller chain you would not need to replace cams

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-08-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Thats the problem, looks like someone cheaped out and didn't replace the cams and inner chain. You go half azz thats what you get and don't bitch with the result

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hydaulic Tensioners shot at 20k!!!