Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Crossing Into Canada With a DUI?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Crossing Into Canada With a DUI?

I'm familiar with the current Canadian policies regarding entrance into Canada with any type of criminal history.

Regardless of the rules, it seems as though your entrance into the Country is largely at the discretion of the Border agent you just happen to meet when crossing. History, or not.

Having said that, I'd like to hear of people's personal experiences crossing the Canadian border. Such as:

Did they let you in, even with a DUI history?

Were you ever refused? If so, why?

Thanks

Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A few of my buddies have a couple DUI's & have never had a problem. My ex-brother-in-law has a felony & goes fishing every year, never denied entry.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I have a buddy from Minnesota who rides with a bunch of guys to visit some friends in Winnipeg Manitoba every couple years or so. On occaission 1 or 2 of them are sent back because of their dui's. But sometimes they have no problems at all. I think it all depends on what mood the border agent's in at the time.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:29 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Great question.

Couple of friends of mine were turned around the other day (driving, not riding). Neither had any criminal history at all including DUIs. They had a tool bag in the back and immigration officials thought they were there to steal work. Boy, were they pissed!

I spoke with a buddy of mine from Toronto. He said it's getting crazy crossing these days. He's had a number of US friends turned around for no good reason, even at airports. Because of that, I have to wonder about future trip planning. I would hate to plan a ride to Alaska to be denied access - especially on the way back!

Seriously - what is up with that? It sounds like it's easier to get into Russia than Canada these days.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:25 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Screw 'em.. If I decide to go to Alaska, I'm taking the ferry.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:09 AM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

A friend of mine was denied because of DUI. To get in would take money, forms and references. I have been told not to lie to the border agents. If something, like you being involved in an accident, occurred and your lie surfaced you could be charged with entering under false pretense. They would take your bike.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends allot on where you are crossing, in the Metro centers like Toronto/Vancouver they seem to be sticky, coming up in to Provinces like MB, SK, AB seem to be more of a discretion call and depends on the mood the boarder guard is in at the time. There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule, but the long and short is they have the auth to deny you if they see fit and do not have to give you a reason, then if you would like you can appeal but that wont be until weeks later and will probably cause you more grief later on down the road.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Crossing at a busy border like Windsor is your best bet. The smaller stations are filled with bored guards who have nothing better to do than shake a person down.
In the end it depends on the mood the border guard is in.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 PM
GrayMare
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We will be in Niagara Falls, NY in August and I would love to see the Fall from the Canadian side. Any horror stories about crossing into Canada there ?

Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 AM
EddieBlaize
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrayMare
We will be in Niagara Falls, NY in August and I would love to see the Fall from the Canadian side. Any horror stories about crossing into Canada there ?
There are 3 bridges in the Buffalo / Niagra area. A guy I worked with was refused entry at the 1st, so he went to the 2nd and went right thru. This was back in 07 or 08...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crossing Into Canada With a DUI?