Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Cross Repair & Radio Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Iron Cross Repair & Radio Install Help

I am sending my stock HK unit out to Iron Cross first thing tomorrow and I forgot to ask Tony if I send the cb unit that sits on top of the radio with it. Anybody else send theirs in and know or do I just ship it all together? Second of all it took me awhile to get this thing out. The front bolts were easy but the rear ones closest to the inner fairing were a nightmare to get out. I managed getting them out with a small pair of vice grips but I have no idea how I am going to get the rear ones back in. What am I doing wrong here or what tool am I missing?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the tool set you need to get to the hard to reach bolts...

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...set-67885.html

Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser

I have a similar tool but the issue I ran into is that you can't get to them straight on because the fairing bracket is in the way on the rears closest to the inner fairing. The fronts were easy to get to because there is a access hole in the fairing bracket.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:28 AM
razorsedge
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You use the same enlongated holes to access the front socket cap bolts as you did the rear bolts. I used a "ball end" t-handle tool and it reached and removed the bolts with ease. Make sure to inspect your fairing mounts, both verticals and the smaller horizontal mounts that go the lower outboard speaker screws on each side. Also before you completely remove the radio, use a flashlight and peek to see if the riser bolts on the top of the handlebar clamp are touching the bottom of the radio chassis. The number one cause of the HD factory radios is a hairline crack through the printed circuit board from broken fairing mounts and the radio chassis bouncing and hitting the bolt heads on the handlebar clamp. These bolts were changed on 2012 model bikes.

By the way, Iron Cross Audio does a excellent job on repairing these radios. They even remove the UV coating on the face of the display and replace it as well as add improved vibration resistance and improve the protection from moisture damage. My radio looked like new when I got it back.

I did not send my CB module into Iron Cross. I would call and ask Tony if there is any extra charge to handle the CB module. They are always willing to take the time to listen to your concerns and offer their advice.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MichiganDave
I have a similar tool but the issue I ran into is that you can't get to them straight on because the fairing bracket is in the way on the rears closest to the inner fairing. The fronts were easy to get to because there is a access hole in the fairing bracket.
The ones that RushBass posted are Ball Allen designed to be used at a slight angle.

Close up

Old 04-10-2012, 04:52 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

No need to send in your CB Module. And the ball end type Allen wrenches are the ticket.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MichiganDave
I am sending my stock HK unit out to Iron Cross first thing tomorrow and I forgot to ask Tony if I send the cb unit that sits on top of the radio with it. Anybody else send theirs in and know or do I just ship it all together? Second of all it took me awhile to get this thing out. The front bolts were easy but the rear ones closest to the inner fairing were a nightmare to get out. I managed getting them out with a small pair of vice grips but I have no idea how I am going to get the rear ones back in. What am I doing wrong here or what tool am I missing?
If the CB module is sent, we will function test it.
If there is no issue with the module, no need to send it

Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

almost 4 years on my repair and Rear AUX mod... Still going strong!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brown will be delivering mine back from Iron Cross today :-)
The ball driver is the ticket and long arm allen ball driver will work, that is what I have used both times I have had my radio out.
Never needed the Manual to do this but went and got it just to see what it had to say.
See attachment

Attached Thumbnails Iron Cross Repair & Radio Install Help-224510472.jpg   Iron Cross Repair & Radio Install Help-scan0006.jpg  
Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser

Thank you for all the replies. My unit is on it's way to Iron Cross and I will be on my way to Harbor Freight to get the right tool for the re-install once I get the radio back. I remember at the beginning of last summer when the radio problems started I found one of the speaker brackets busted and I replaced it within a few days. I didn't notice at the time if the fairing brackets were also broke as I didn't really pay much attention to it. About a week or so ago one of my friends I ride with asked if I ever checked these brackets because he noticed that the fairing was shaking more than normal. Sure enough both of them were busted when I went inside to remove the radio.

Quick Reply: Iron Cross Repair & Radio Install Help