EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Derby cover. Gasket or o-ring?

Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts
Default Derby cover. Gasket or o-ring?

In preparation of pulling my outer primary off so I can polish it, I bought an outer primary gasket, derby cover gasket and inspection cover gasket (where the shifter shaft passes through). When I pulled everything off, the derby cover had an o-ring and not a gasket. Should I reuse or replace that or, use the gasket. My TC has a gasket and seems to work well but, it's got five screws holding it on whereas my Evo only has three.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Cleetussnow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say use the gasket one for the Evo. It has a ring of RTV to secure the seal. I always put some extra RTV on this gasket on the bottom portion at least, when I install it, and it never leaks that way.

The 3 screw thing is imperfect.

RTV is a MUST for evo owners!!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Cleetussnow
Advanced

I would say use the gasket one for the Evo. It has a ring of RTV to secure the seal. I always put some extra RTV on this gasket on the bottom portion at least, when I install it, and it never leaks that way.

The 3 screw thing is imperfect.

RTV is a MUST for evo owners!!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Bleachey
Tourer

Mine has both. There is the o-ring around the actual derby cover, then the gasket that covers the entire hole and has one side that says :this side towards clutch". Ironically the first time I removed it I was missing the gasket as well.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the oem gasket and no sealant.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by Bleachey
Mine has both. There is the o-ring around the actual derby cover, then the gasket that covers the entire hole and has one side that says :this side towards clutch". Ironically the first time I removed it I was missing the gasket as well.

thats what I do. Just leave the O-ring in there and replace the gasket after it gets looking ratty.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:25 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

I knew I could count on you guys. Getting used to the Evo has certainly been a learning experience and this forum, and it's members have made this thing a whole lot easier. Thanks again.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,474 Likes on 4,601 Posts

I`ve had the same o ring in my primary cover for at least 10 years, derby cover has been off dozens of times, does not leak a drop.

RTV?????

Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Bleachey
Tourer

Originally Posted by carlgrover
thats what I do. Just leave the O-ring in there and replace the gasket after it gets looking ratty.
You do have to make sure the o-ring is seated in the groove really well. The first time I buggered mine up because it wasn't in the groove and it leaked. When I removed the cover I realized the o-ring had slipped out of the groove and it was smashed. Couldn't see it with the cover on.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Kushman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new gasket is ****. MoCo felt the need to have some egghead redesign something that worked. When removing your durby covver be sure to mark it with a wax pencil or sim. They are almost allways warped and you should try to put it on the same way it came off. With my bike I allways reuse the o-ring or it will leak, and as above RTV is a must and she will be tight as a drum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Derby cover. Gasket or o-ring?