Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ping/Detonation Correction Questions

Old 04-16-2012, 10:33 PM
doorsidedown
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ping/Detonation Correction Questions

Hey All,

I have a 2006 FXDWGI with the 95" big bore kit and 211 Cams. I have Rinehart 2 into 1 Exhaust and a PCIII.

I've been experiencing pinging in 6th gear (any time it's under load at all) and I don't use 6th until I'm 75mph or above. I also get some pinging in 4th - 5th if i roll on it hard.

I just recently had it dyno'ed (chart attached) by Winchester HD (VA) thinking that it would correct the problem, and I put the rineharts on, so I needed it - but the pinging still persists. I run only 92 and above octane, and I tried turbo 108 to see if it would help - but still pinging. I'm thinking that I need to have the ignition timing adjusted, but has anyone had this and successfully fixed it? Is it easily adjusted on your own - or should the shop do it?

I was recommended by a shop today to install the Super Tuner, but that's $860 and still no guarantee.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

JB

Attached Thumbnails Ping/Detonation Correction Questions-dyno.jpg  
Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by doorsidedown

I tried turbo 108 to see if it would help - but still pinging.

JB
This is strange, 108 should clear up any pinging and confirm that it is pinging that you are experiencing.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Have you had the tuner takeit for a ride? As was said; if hi octane won't help something's wrong...I put an S&S IST ignition on my carb'd 103; it has a knock sensor...dosen't your tuner use a knock sensor??? Ask your tuner how much/which advance curve he used...

Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In my experience, the further from basic stage-1 setups you go with PowerCommanders the more problems you get.

You have a big bore kit and replacement cams, so its pretty unlikely that the stock timing is going to be good and it will need some adjustment for both performance and to reduce your pinging.

You can try taking some of the timing out yourself until the pinging disappears, depends if you have any experience with the PC whether you feel confident about tackling that, its not rocket science. Or you can get a shop to do it or you can dump the PC and get a SEPST, TTS or PowerVision and tune that instead.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 PM
DBAGR
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PcIII does allow for timing to be adjusted, but I'm curious what compression your motor was set at when the 95" was installed. Even if built to 10.5 -1 static comp. with that cam your corrected comp should be manageable, somewhere around 9.3 -9.4-1. You should be able to pull enough timing out of the PCIII to correct that. Do you know what static comp. was supposed to be on your build.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:23 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The advantage of the SEPST or TTS is that you can ride and record data and see where the pinging is occuring IOT to pull timing in those specific areas. Not sure these other tuners have that ability.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:05 AM
doorsidedown
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My compression ratio when installed is 9.4.1 but I don't really know enough to speak intelligently on how this affects my ping issue. I do know that the PC3 allows for timing adjustment, but I'm not comfortable tackling that myself. However, I'll give it a shot, because if it doesn't work, I'll probably invest in the super tuner and give that a go.

Does anyone have any good references on how to adjust the timing with a pc3?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 AM
DBAGR
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a comp. ratio of 9.4-1 and that cam I don't understand how this motor should have a problem with pinging. Your cold cranking comp. shouldn't be more than about 175 lb, that's about the same or very slightly more than a stock Harley. With fuel's at the octane level you stated your using, I just don't understand how it could ping. I wish you luck finding the problem and hope you find a local mech. that figures it out.