General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Harley for Long Distance?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 AM
HDBikerDude2000
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Harley for Long Distance?

Hi,

Newbie here!

Let me start by saying I don't currently ride, but want to. I'm currently looking at my options as I have a small problem that means any bike I get requires modification.

I don't have a left arm below the elbow, so I've been primarily looking at scooters as they don't have a clutch to worry about, but then I got looking at HD as that is ultimately what I'd want to ride (I just love the sound of those V-twins ).

It would seem I might have an answer to the modification problem - apparently there is a company in the UK that has a mod for HD motorcycles that means the clutch can be controlled electro-mechanically, with shifting being done at the push of a button (so making the bike semi-automatic). That just leaves things like the indicator on the left side being found a new home on the right hand side, etc..

With all that said and done, I'd be looking for something that is suitable for long-distance riding (e.g. 5 hours). I'm more interested in comfort and ride handling than raw performance.

My local dealer suggested I looked at the Super Glide, and claimed it was HD best handling and long-range bike out of the lot. He really got my interest with the price (he was quoting about £11500 new).

Is this bike really the best for long-range riding? As I say, I'm looking for comfort (both in terms of sitting and in terms of ride quality, with good handling being important too).

I understand these bikes can be customized too (which I will definitely take advantage of!). I'm a tall rider at 6 ft 4 in. We established I would need the forward controls for a better riding position. I'd be very tempted to go with the foot-boards, if they don't interfere with ground clearance.

I'm diving in head-first here, but wanted opinions on what is out there. I appreciate riding position, comfort, etc.. can be subjective, but nevertheless it is clear some are going to be better than others!

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The touring models are designed for long distance riding. This is my 4th Harley, all different models, and my EG is definitely the best riding, most comfortable bike I've owned.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM
t-bear
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have never ridden before I would consider going for a lighter more maneuverable bike to start with.
Most with two hands would find a big touring bike a challenge as a first bike, I would think safety and get a smaller bike that would give you confidence and experience.
You can do 5 hours on any motorcycle!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Easy,an Ultra,Ultra Limited,or a RG Ultra. I guess you are seeing a pattern,if you are looking for the ultimate in lavish cross country riding look no further than three I listed.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the Ultra crowd are very proud of their bikes but, in my opinion, unless you are touring and need to carry a lot of stuff, they are overkill. Something like a Road Glide Custom or a Street Glide would be fine. The SuperGlide will be okay for a 500 mile trip but not for long distance touring.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 AM
aces25
Road Master

Originally Posted by HDBikerDude2000
My local dealer suggested I looked at the Super Glide, and claimed it was HD best handling and long-range bike out of the lot. He really got my interest with the price (he was quoting about £11500 new).
I would not consider the Super Glide as a long range bike. The only bike from the Dyna line that might fit that bill would be the Switchback. For five hour rides in comfort, you should really consider something from the Touring line unless the weight of the bike is an issue.

With the ability to only use one hand for controls, my main concern would be low speed maneuvers and emergency braking. Do you already have the saddle experience to be adjusted to this or are you looking into riding for the first time?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, which dealer are you talking to?! The Super Glide is a great bike, but it sure as heck isn't the best for long-distance, nor is it the best handling!

In your situation, you might want to take a look at a Road King or a Switchback...

...at another dealer.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member

Road King would be my choice. it is a touring model and has bags and a windshield, but is still cool looking unlike an ultra and the windshield is removable. i do not own one and have only rode one once but every single person that owns one says they would never ride another bike but a RK. i have a friend who has your disability also and he rides a sporty like there is no tomorrow. he attaches his hook to the left bar with a thick rubber band. buy a harley and it will change your life forever. good luck!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

How would you operate the left turn signal, horn, or turn the cruise on/off?

I definately admire your spirit!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

I would say any bigger model like Fatboy, Fatboy Lo, Street glide, Road king, Electraglide.. Any thing like that would be best!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Harley for Long Distance?