Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Clutch Adjustment on 2012 103.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default First Clutch Adjustment on 2012 103.

Hello, I'm doing my 1000 mile service on my 2012 Street Glide. I've changed the engine oil and trans fluid. Engine took right at 3.5 qts to reach the FULL HOT mark. Trans Took 32 oz. My question is, the clutch adjustment changed on the 103 or is it the same as the older 96ci? On my 10 Wide Glide (inside the primary) I turned the adjustment nut in till it had some resistence then turned back out 3/4 turn. I then tightened up the lock nut and adjusted the lever. Also, my manual says 38oz (wet) of primary fluid. My wife may get mad but she has a great pampered chef glass measuring cup that goes up to 38oz. I will use it to measure out the exact amount. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:50 AM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clutch adjustment procedure is the same as long as it's the stock clutch. There's no need to measure the primary oil. Get the bike level (jack or wood or whatever you use) after draining the oil, do your adjustments, then just pour oil in between the clutch and primary cover using a funnel. Stop filling once the oil touches the bottom of the clutch pack. It may be 38 ounces, it may be 41 ounces. It depends how well the old stuff drained out. It's not an exact science.... now Fork Oil requires a little more precision, but not the primary.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:12 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the info.

Let me ask one more question,

The clutch on my SG has been perfect since I rode it home from the dealer. Lever is great and clutch release is in the sweet spot for me. Is there a reason I have to adjust it? I am just doing everything on the 1000 mile HD service chart. If I adjusted it I would want it pretty much just like it is now. Thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lhgdale
Thanks for the info.

Let me ask one more question,

The clutch on my SG has been perfect since I rode it home from the dealer. Lever is great and clutch release is in the sweet spot for me. Is there a reason I have to adjust it? I am just doing everything on the 1000 mile HD service chart. If I adjusted it I would want it pretty much just like it is now. Thanks
No real reason to adjust it if it's working properly. Usually the cable needs adjusting on new bikes tho as the cable stretches a bit. With the cover off you might as well check the adjustment tho.

Last edited by nvsteve; 04-19-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, I guess I might as well check it.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by nvsteve
No real reason to adjust it if it's working properly. Usually the cable needs adjusting on new bikes tho as the cable stretches a bit.
On my 2010, I had to make a slight adjustment in the "cable" to take up some stretch-slack as nvsteve describes. But as far as adjusting the clutch itself, there has been absolutely no need. I've had the primary off one time when I replaced my compensator, but there was no need to screw around with the clutch since it was working just fine.

I don't subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, work on it until it is" approach. If it feels perfect to you, leave it the heck alone. You can always perform any needed adjustments later when it starts feeling less than perfect.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Interesting. My 2010 StreetGlide says 32 oz for the primary, not 38 oz. Mine is a 96. Why would a 103 need more primary fluid?

Have also always wondered if I had to adjust clutch even if it "felt right" to me. I know there is going to be some cable stretch over time and I understand clutch plates will wear, but what happens to make the clutch need adjustment? And really, how often? Over the course of the 5000 mile interval of service I sometimes do seem to think the friction point has changed on the clutch lever. Is this the adjustment?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Interesting. My 2010 StreetGlide says 32 oz for the primary, not 38 oz. Mine is a 96. Why would a 103 need more primary fluid?

Have also always wondered if I had to adjust clutch even if it "felt right" to me. I know there is going to be some cable stretch over time and I understand clutch plates will wear, but what happens to make the clutch need adjustment? And really, how often? Over the course of the 5000 mile interval of service I sometimes do seem to think the friction point has changed on the clutch lever. Is this the adjustment?
You must have misread something. Your 2010 takes 38 oz of primary fluid. I do think it's a good idea to measure it. You do not want to overfill! It can cause problems.

FORMULA+ TRANSMISSION AND PRIMARY
CHAIN LUBRICANT (Part No. 99851-05)
Primary chain lubricant Lubricant type and capacity
or
SYN3 20W50 OIL (Part No. 99824-03/00QT)
Wet: 38 oz. (1124 ml)
Dry: 45 oz. (1331 ml)
Primary chaincase drain plug torque 14-21 ft-lbs (19.0-28.5 Nm

Last edited by Ronp42; 04-19-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:20 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Ronp42,

you are correct Sir! just checked my manual and it is 38oz in the primary

must have confused myself on the 32oz for transmission ..... and you are correct about over filling ..... best to check with bike level to see if full to bottom of opening

Old 04-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Ronp42,

you are correct Sir! just checked my manual and it is 38oz in the primary

must have confused myself on the 32oz for transmission ..... and you are correct about over filling ..... best to check with bike level to see if full to bottom of opening
Not being argumentative here hoethree...lol. If I understand you correctly? It should be touching the bottom of the clutch with bike level, not up to the opening!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Clutch Adjustment on 2012 103.