General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob?

Old 04-22-2012, 03:34 PM
toku58
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob?

Hey guys I'm an older rider looking to get back into riding. (I use to ride crotch rockets)
I've read a few threads on these two bikes but I'm still confused on which bike I should get?

Could someone shed some light on the Pro's & cons of these two bikes? (I know nothing about Dyna's or soft tails) But I do know that I like the look of either of these bikes.

The Fat Bob I've already gotten a quote for $16900.00 OTD for a 2012, pearl blue.

How does the resale hold up on either of these bikes?

Is that a good price?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo!

Old 04-22-2012, 03:39 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you still have the urge to ride twisty roads the Fat Bob is the better choice, more aggressive riding position, (that can be switched to mid controls if you like) no foot boards to drag, and dual disc brakes.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:53 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dyna (Fat Bob) has a vibration isolated engine (some people call this rubber mounted). Fatboy is a Softail which has a counterbalanced engine to reduce vibration. Personally I find the counterbalanced engine to actually be smoother (less vibrations). I agree that the Dyna will probably be a better handling bike. Not sure what the rake/trail difference is but they feel more nimble. That said, IMO, Softails are the most visually pleasing.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:00 PM
aidansdad
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put about 50 miles on my brothers 2012 Fat Bob (Which he got for considerably less than 16900 otd, denim black, no options). Coming from my '12 RG custom, the bob runs like a raped ape. It just feels like it wants to go fast, and you can throw it into corners. Never ridden a fat boy (even though my youngest brother has an '11 Lo), but don't think it would do what the bob can. But the fat boy does look better IMHO.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Totally Bored
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fatboys handle great. I beat the snot out of mine thru the twisties with no problem.

Testride both if you can and buy wich one you like best. I did this and I liked the Fatbob but, I loved the Fatboy. YMMV

Last edited by Totally Bored; 04-22-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm a softail owner myself so I'd steer you toward the Fatboy but I agree you should test ride both before making a choice.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:33 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Any Dyna will run/ride circles around any softtail. The softtail is designed for looks, it's supposed to look like an old school rigid frame. They hide the shocks under the frame and they have limited travel. The counter balanced engine limits performance options.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Tilter
Tourer

Hey welcome back!

Those are two of my four favorite bikes - I just got a 2010 Fat Bob myself a couple of months ago.

Fat bob has "A" motor which is rougher at idle but I feel smoother underway. Also has more power than Fat boy "B" motor which is smoother at idle. I'd rather be smooth when riding than at light.

Fat boy hides the shocks underneath. This looks better but compromises the handling a bit. Unless you are an aggressive rider though I don't think you'll notice.

Fat bob does have exposed shocks but they have chrome covers and look good.

I love the fat bobs twin headlamps but I like the fat boys big ole single nacelle too.

While both have similar on paper resale value I think the fat boy has more of a wider audience to sell to. Then again their are so many more of them on the road.

Fat bob is less expensive.

Ignore everything I just said and ride them both. Heck rent them if you can or ask for an extended test ride. The one you prefer after riding is the easy choice. Good luck either way.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:19 PM
motorman857
Former Sponsor
Default fat boy vs fat bob

Originally Posted by toku58
Hey guys I'm an older rider looking to get back into riding. (I use to ride crotch rockets)
I've read a few threads on these two bikes but I'm still confused on which bike I should get?

Could someone shed some light on the Pro's & cons of these two bikes? (I know nothing about Dyna's or soft tails) But I do know that I like the look of either of these bikes.

The Fat Bob I've already gotten a quote for $16900.00 OTD for a 2012, pearl blue.

How does the resale hold up on either of these bikes?

Is that a good price?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo!
The fat boy has a lean angle of 26 degrees to the right and 27 to the left. That's very little lean angle even for a cruiser. The fat bob is 30 to the rt. and 31 to the left. Thats a night and day difference. If you like to get aggressive in the curves, the fat boy ain't the bike to do it. If your just out for a nice and easy cruise, go with the fat boy. IMO, it's got the style and is a more comfortable riding position. On the fat bob I found the air cleaner puts my right leg at an odd angle and the forward controls a bit too forward.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Gimp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In summary: Your Mileage May Vary.

Having just started the process of putting myself back in the saddle after some 25 years of being a "responsible parent," I was in this same dilemma between the Blackline and the Wide Glide. I pretty much flipped a coin...it came up FatBob.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob?