Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Put Rear Saddlebag Guards on Street Glide?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Skippy97
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Put Rear Saddlebag Guards on Street Glide?

Hey all,

I was thinking of putting the HD rear saddlebag guards on the Street Glide. I like the idea of extra protection in a fall, and protecting the bags in a fall/lean over.

Anyone have an opinion on looks or whether this is a good purchase?

Thanks for the info!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure - handy to grab a hold of when backing up too.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Juicer0277
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post!!! I was wondering the same thing. I'm more interested in having them so that I can put the Harley Davidson Guard Bags on and have extra pockets for storage. The idea didn't hit me until the other day I was over at Cabela's and they have an aluminum water bottle that would fit in the water bottle pocket but it's one of those vacuum sealed bottles so it will keep hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold. This seemed like the perfect idea for me cause i'm always riding and buying a gatorade and drink about 3/4 of it, throw it in the saddle bag, and end up with a HOT gatorade when I stop again. This would keep it in reach while i'm riding and keep the drink cool.

The other thing is that it would keep the heels of my wife's boots off my hard bags. they would just rub against the leather pouch instead of my paint. I suppose the lean/fall over protection would be a good thing too.

Anyone with any feedback please reply. I put a Craigslist post out the other day actually asking if anyone wanted to "trade" their guarded look for my sleek street glide look. I imagine there are several Road King or Ultra/Electra Glide guys out there that would love to have the sleek look on their bike. So far I have had two replies however their bikes were both 07's and according the the Harley Parts book there are two different kinds. One for 09 and newer and one for older models. Hopefully someone gets back with me with a newer bike and maybe we can get something worked out.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 PM
smoke show
6th Gear

Originally Posted by davessworks
Sure - handy to grab a hold of when backing up too.

don't do it.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:40 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

I did - no regrets and I've got guard bags to go on for longer trips.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 PM
LADNAR
Tourer

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
I did - no regrets and I've got guard bags to go on for longer trips.
I put them on mine too, over the winter.

I've been planning on getting the bags/water bottle holder, for trips, but I haven't gotten around to buying them yet. They're kinda pricey for what they are...

Old 05-17-2012, 11:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicer0277
I'm more interested in having them so that I can put the Harley Davidson Guard Bags on and have extra pockets for storage.
Good reason.

The idea didn't hit me until the other day I was over at Cabela's and they have an aluminum water bottle that would fit in the water bottle pocket but it's one of those vacuum sealed bottles so it will keep hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold. This seemed like the perfect idea for me cause i'm always riding and buying a gatorade and drink about 3/4 of it, throw it in the saddle bag, and end up with a HOT gatorade when I stop again. This would keep it in reach while i'm riding and keep the drink cool.
Yep, another good reason. I've been doing that for almost 15 years with an insulated plastic bottle from Walmart (hunting and camping section). It's getting a bit ragged-out and I might have to check out the bottle you refer to at Cabella's. I carry it filled with Gatorade on longer rides, especially in summer, and on trips I carry a Ziplok bag containing powdered Gatorade and get ice and water from stations along the way. It's important to select a bottle with a wide mouth to allow easy ice filling from soft-drink ice machines. To date I've never had a store charge me for filling the bottle with ice and I've long since stopped asking and just get it. I usually grab some ice when I buy something else, like gas, which justifies the theft at least in my own mind.

The most-obvious reason to add the guards is to protect the bags from the inevitable when you forget to pull down the kickstand or otherwise let the bike fall over. It wouldn't take much to destroy an expensive plastic saddlebag, and even a minor scrape can be an expensive repair job.

Anyone with any feedback please reply. I put a Craigslist post out the other day actually asking if anyone wanted to "trade" their guarded look for my sleek street glide look. I imagine there are several Road King or Ultra/Electra Glide guys out there that would love to have the sleek look on their bike. So far I have had two replies however their bikes were both 07's and according the the Harley Parts book there are two different kinds. One for 09 and newer and one for older models. Hopefully someone gets back with me with a newer bike and maybe we can get something worked out.
I bought my guards and supports on Ebay for $100, but since that time HD has offered a kit for $150. It has everything you'll need, but if you buy a used set of guards remember that if you will also need the supports that go under the bags. Buy a used set and sell the SG supports afterward. Try the For Sale section of this forum, too. I wouldn't be without them.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I think they're clunky looking, pulled them off my bike, and installed the Street Glide style saddlebag supports.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:29 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

...you can find take offs on the classifieds here.

a little more protection from the jerk trying to squeeze in next to you at Denny's-

kinda part of the traditional look

Mike

Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 AM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Just added mine this week. Not sure how I feel about them. Def will save the scratches on the saddlebags. Will prolly add the water bottle holder as a previous poster said, I continually buy a drink, get half way thru it then go to drink the rest an hour later and its hotter than heck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I Put Rear Saddlebag Guards on Street Glide?