Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Inner Primary bearing change ?

Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Inner Primary bearing change ?

I have a inner primary seal leaking and i thought i read somewhere through this vast website about a updated one piece bearing being installed for the inner race walking on the shaft. my question is, what years and models does that apply to ? would my 07 FB need a updated bearing or is it just a seal gone bad ?

TIA..

Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
I have a inner primary seal leaking and i thought i read somewhere through this vast website about a updated one piece bearing being installed for the inner race walking on the shaft. my question is, what years and models does that apply to ? would my 07 FB need a updated bearing or is it just a seal gone bad ? TIA..
If you are going in to replace the inner primary seal, you really should replace the inner primary bearing, 5th gear/mainshaft seal, quad seal and spacer and mainshaft seal. Can't tell you how many guys have had the inner primary on/off multiple times chasing an inner primary leak. There are three fixes for the inner primary bearing:

1. replace bearing race & bearing with HD oem set.
2. replace bearing with HD oem & replace race with non-walking S&S race.
3. replace separate bearing & race with one-piece sealed bearing/race upgrade from All ***** or Baker.

Option #2 is my personal favorite. I can't speak from experience but have read that there have been issues with the one piece sealed bearings; hit/miss solution from what I hear and read.

It is very easy to nick the inner primary bearing seal when installing; the splines on the mainshaft have very sharp edges. The inner primary bearing puller shaft comes with a plastic netting to protect the threads, I slip that over the mainshaft to protect the seal when installing the innner primary case; duct tape works as well.

Last edited by djl; 05-21-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Paint
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

djl is exactly right, I am one of those guys that has had the primary off more than a couple of times chasing a leak...since you have it apart, replace everything! ;-)

Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

does my 07 have the style bearing where the inner race is seperate ? looking at the parts fiche it looks to have the inner race as part of the bearing assy..

what is the "quad seal" ? i read where guys were removing the inner seal portion of the sealed bearing to allow the oil to run back out of the bearing and to keep it lubricated..

oh, i know for sure its the primary leaking. i put dye in the trans oil and the oil leaking doesn't have dye in it. luckily its not a bad leak.. just enough to mark its territory after a run..

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....N-CASE-HOUSING

Last edited by FroggyFatBoy; 05-21-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 AM
Paint
6th Gear

The Quad seal is a small o-ring that goes in next to the Transmission mainshaft bearing under the main seal. Your leak sounds like the inner primary seal...fairly easy to change....

Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Paint
6th Gear

and your main tranny bearing is a one piece bearing but its not a sealed bearing from the factory.... The bearing (#6) in the picture is the inner primary bearing which is a 2 piece roller bearing, the race has to be pressed on the mainshaft.

Last edited by Paint; 05-22-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:54 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

baker kit:http://bakerdrivetrain.com/high-torque-bearing-kit
At work I have the part # for the Napa equivilent.
Bearing is a # SKF 6205-2ZJ Seal is #25x52x7TC made by TCM. Identical to the Baker set.

Last edited by soft 02; 05-22-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

i gotta a napa two doors up from where i work.. i know where i'm going tomorrow !

thanks for the info and help.. since its been raining and looks to continue to rain for the next few days i was gonna tear it apart tonight, but i've been dealing with a splitting headache all day.. my heads gotta be into it to tear somethig apart i've never had apart.

thanks again guys..

Old 05-22-2012, 07:38 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

one more question.. sorry guys..

to use the bearing and seal above, do i remove the inner race # 14 in this pic. or is that for the shell needle bearing #4

I do have the service manual, but sometimes its easier to look at a parts layout in determing component assembly and parts order. i wished they showed the trans shaft with the primary case also. i'm sure once i get it apart i'll see what you all are describing.. and say ... "I see said the blind man"

Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
one more question.. sorry guys..

to use the bearing and seal above, do i remove the inner race # 14 in this pic. or is that for the shell needle bearing #4

I do have the service manual, but sometimes its easier to look at a parts layout in determing component assembly and parts order. i wished they showed the trans shaft with the primary case also. i'm sure once i get it apart i'll see what you all are describing.. and say ... "I see said the blind man"
Yes. Once you have removed the primary assy you can take a dremmel or a 4" grinder to the inner race (item #14 in trans gears) and carefully remove enough material so when you strike it with a chissle it splits and comes off easily.

Last edited by soft 02; 05-22-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Inner Primary bearing change ?