Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Michelin Commander II Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Michelin Commander II Tires

hey folks, i'm looking for some experienced insight to some of the reading I've done on these tires. No offense and much appreciated but I'm not looking for "short-use" opinions; simply facts from folks who have bought and used these tires on a touring bike for 5k + miles (preferably longer).

1. Are they all they're cracked up to be?
2. How do they ride in comparison to your previous tires? (i've been running Metzler ME 880s for a while (3 sets) and love em)
3. How is the road-noise?
4. How long have they lasted you? (i don't ride hard, just normal)
5. How is wet and dry traction?
6. How do they look? (some tires are just butt-ugly)
7. Where is the cheapest you've found them?

Old 05-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
hey folks, i'm looking for some experienced insight to some of the reading I've done on these tires. No offense and much appreciated but I'm not looking for "short-use" opinions; simply facts from folks who have bought and used these tires on a touring bike for 5k + miles (preferably longer).

1. Are they all they're cracked up to be?
2. How do they ride in comparison to your previous tires? (i've been running Metzler ME 880s for a while (3 sets) and love em)
3. How is the road-noise?
4. How long have they lasted you? (i don't ride hard, just normal)
5. How is wet and dry traction?
6. How do they look? (some tires are just butt-ugly)
7. Where is the cheapest you've found them?
I have them on my Road King. I don't know what they are "cracked up to be",but if they don't surpass the 20,000 miles my Dunlop E3's gave me,they are crap. The ride is smooth,quiet,with excellent traction. I ride mountain roads exclusively,and haven't had them break loose,even when sanding the footboards.They look good,would rather they had the thin line whitewalls of the E3 Dunlops.Only reason I bought them was that my local dealer was out of the Dunlops,had a road trip to make in 2 days,and couldn't wait.$500.00 mounted.

The following users liked this post:
Frank D. (04-30-2020)
Old 05-31-2012, 05:38 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How are there looks width wise compared to the Dunlops? I know some tires look rounder and not as wide and others look not as rounded and wider. Also some are just wider size to size. I just ordered a 150/80-16 for mine and was hoping to keep the rear fender filled.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:39 PM
tumadre
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for vehicles I know mechelin tires one of the best since cake & ice cream. lol
try looking around on amazon everything is cheap on that site.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
How are there looks width wise compared to the Dunlops? I know some tires look rounder and not as wide and others look not as rounded and wider. Also some are just wider size to size. I just ordered a 150/80-16 for mine and was hoping to keep the rear fender filled.
Identical to the Dunlops in dimensions,your rear fender will still be full of tire.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master

Originally Posted by Twistnride
Identical to the Dunlops in dimensions,your rear fender will still be full of tire.
Thanks. I was hoping that they would be a little wider. The only place that I could find dimensions was on J&P. Most Dunlops measure around 5.9-6.2" for that size. They list the Michelin as 6.5" which would make them the widest 150 I've seen. The next step would be the Avon 160 at 6.6". Since Michelin doesn't list the actual szes like Dunlop and Avon, I have to base it on other riders experience. Can't always trust what a vendor puts online.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:41 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master

I had the Michelin mounted up today. Too early to tell any difference yet other than the ride felt smooth and no noticeable road noise. I had a little rain on the way home and they did fine. I was a little nervous because of them being brand new and slippery, but they stuck well. The styling looks good, not but ugly. One of the better looking tire designs. However, it is a narrow tire compared with other makes. My Dunlop D401 measured almost 6" exactly for a 150/80-16. The O.E. Dunlop K591 measures 6.25" and the Avon Venom measures 6.3". The Michelin only measures 5-5/8" at the widest. More of a rounded tire compared to the Avon. I have an Avon 160/80-16 that I was going to use and that measures a little over 6-1/2". Almost a full 1" for a 10mm larger tire. The Avon was 11 years old and is recommended to go on a 3.5" or wider rim, so I passed on using it. Hopefully the more rounded shape will prove worth while with better handling. I was able to get the Michelin for $129.99 shipped which is $40-50 less than the K591 or the Avon. The Pirelli Night Dragon was $5 less, but is not supposed to wear as well with the same handling performance. The width wasn't as important as the performance and price for me. Some guys really want the widest possible though. Hopefully this will help them out.

Michelin Commander II

Avon 160 vs. Michelin 150

Last edited by JohnC FXDX; 06-05-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 06-09-2012, 06:09 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master

I had the bike out for another ride to get some more break in on the tires. I took a route that had some tight turns and the tire handled great. After a few turns, I had a lot more confidence than with the Dunlop. I was pushing it way harder and it stayed stable. So far very happy. Hopefully will be taking a ride up to Bear Mountain in the next couple of weeks with my friend. He has a Ducati, so I will give it my best to hang with him. Should be a good test of the tire.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member

Your post on tire width got me curious. The tire on my Road King is 7 1/8 inches wide.Like you,I've experienced excellent traction in the curves,and I really like to push the big scoot.Ride is superior to the E3's.Had them in rain all week,good bite on wet pavement.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:21 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Tire width is measured from end of tread to end of tread ...the dunlop flares out more than the michelin ..but I like the michelins a lot ....

Quick Reply: Michelin Commander II Tires