Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear axel stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rear axel stuck

Changing tires tonight. Well taking the wheels off and taking them into the dealer to have new tires mounted and balanced. This is the first time the rear wheel has been off this 2010 Limited. Has about 16,000 miles and still had a few left but wanted new rubber and I will replace brakes too before a trip I have coming up shortly. That rear axle was stuck. Did everything exactly like the shop manual said but when I finally got it out using a brass 5/8 rod as a drift with a bigger hammer than I am comfortable with on my baby. The center of the axle was corroded. Had to chuck it up in my lathe and spin it with steel wool and WD40 before I could get it to slide back through the wheel by hand. Definitly no antiseese or grease on that one. Is this a common issue? Not heard of any problems before. I just hope the anti lock sensor did not get hurt. It was stuck pretty good too. Bearings seem smooth with no play or rough spots.

The front axle came right out but the right bearing in the front wheel it rough. Those will get replaced. Only 16K

Old 06-05-2012, 09:55 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh joy - something to look forward to. I'm at almost exactly the same mileage. Same wear. Same color bike etc. etc.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 PM
FFHD05
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went throught the same thing changing my rear out on my 11 @10k miles..yea heavy right wrist but i just cleaned it up and put a nice coating of anti seize and all was good i was nervous too as the manual acts like it will slide right out...

Old 06-05-2012, 10:31 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flintshooter54
Changing tires tonight. Well taking the wheels off and taking them into the dealer to have new tires mounted and balanced. This is the first time the rear wheel has been off this 2010 Limited. Has about 16,000 miles and still had a few left but wanted new rubber and I will replace brakes too before a trip I have coming up shortly. That rear axle was stuck. Did everything exactly like the shop manual said but when I finally got it out using a brass 5/8 rod as a drift with a bigger hammer than I am comfortable with on my baby. The center of the axle was corroded. Had to chuck it up in my lathe and spin it with steel wool and WD40 before I could get it to slide back through the wheel by hand. Definitly no antiseese or grease on that one. Is this a common issue? Not heard of any problems before. I just hope the anti lock sensor did not get hurt. It was stuck pretty good too. Bearings seem smooth with no play or rough spots.

The front axle came right out but the right bearing in the front wheel it rough. Those will get replaced. Only 16K
The manual calls for silver antiseese to be applied also with the brakes removed check your wheel bearings