Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Sportster 1200xl won't start

Old 06-11-2012, 12:13 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 06 Sportster 1200xl won't start

Hi all, last week, my wife's 2006 Sportster 1200xl died while we were riding... it began to backfire like crazy, she said it felt like the bike wanted to die, lunging off and on until finally it died and we had the bike towed back home (thanks HOG).

The ignition key, when in accessory mode, starts the fuel pump, lights up the odometer and back-lights the speedo. However, when moving the key to the ON position, I get nothing... no fuel pump, no speedo lights, and no headlight or marker lights, just nothing.

After reading here what the possibilities might be, I started tinkering. I removed the battery and removed and replaced the connections to the posts. No change. I then checked all fuses... all look good, I even replaced the ignition fuse with the spare... same thing. Voltage tester at the battery, starter and fuse box is 12.8.

This pointed me to the ignition switch... I removed the tank, and found that the switch was replaced before (bought this bike used over a year ago) - the leads to the switch were spliced together, so I thought I had found my problem - another bad switch! So I clipped the leads and removed the ignition switch, but, if I connect the solid red and red/black leads I still get nothing. The solid red with red/grey leads together give the accessory setting (fuel pump and speedo lights).

I am at a loss at this point... and don't really want to tow the bike to the dealer and pay up the a$$. We're moving to a new home soon, and $ is a little tight right now, or I'd tell her it's time for the new Switchback she's been eyeing ;-), which we may do anyway shortly after we move, but now it's become like a battle between me and the bike... I want to get it fixed. I'm no expert in bike repair, but have repair manual and can wrench a little.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by caberto; 06-11-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:33 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

The red/black wire feeds from the switch to the 15A Ignition fuse. See if you're getting 12 volts to and through the fuse when the red and red/black are tied together.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:42 PM
caberto
Road Master

Originally Posted by cHarley
The red/black wire feeds from the switch to the 15A Ignition fuse. See if you're getting 12 volts to and through the fuse when the red and red/black are tied together.
Yea, did that - not sure if I did exactly right though... had wife connect the leads together (they're not long enough to tie together right now), and I removed the fuse from the ignition slot, connected tester to ignition fuse slot... and got 12.8 there as well.

Last edited by caberto; 06-11-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:23 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by caberto
Yea, did that - not sure if I did exactly right though... had wife connect the leads together (they're not long enough to tie together right now), and I removed the fuse from the ignition slot, connected tester to ignition fuse slot... and got 12.8 there as well.
I just noticed something. You said the bike is a 2006 and also mentioned hearing the fuel pump running. That's not possible. An 06 Sporty is carb'd and doesn't have a fuel pump.

Are you sure this is an 06 and not an 07?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:02 PM
caberto
Road Master

Well cr@p... you're right, doesn't make sense... definitely carb'd with choke. I hear something that sounds like a fuel pump for a couple of seconds when the speedo lights come on (on accessory)... not sure what that is then.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:15 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by caberto
You need to make sure that the output side of the 15A Ignition fuse has 12.8v on it when the key is in the On position or when you have the Red and Red/Black shorted together.

Once the path leaves that fuse it splits into several directions. One path splits and powers the electronics (TSM and ICM) and another feeds the Run/Kill switch on the bars.

If you've got power on the output of the ignition fuse then it's time to start chasing the Gray wire, which is the color of the fuse output wire to those items.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 PM
caberto
Road Master

Thanks cHarley... will do that test tonight.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:19 PM
caberto
Road Master

OK... not sure I did this right... but the only way I was able to test both sides of the ignition fuse port was to remove the fuse... I got 12.8v on both sides of the port - again, not sure that's what/how I need to test. I also replaced all 15amp fuses with new.

Could the starter relay be causing this? In despair I bought a new relay from Autozone that matched the size and pinout of the original relay, popped that in, but no difference.

I get power everywhere I check... except apparently to the lights (I haven't pulled the bulbs to test that - but none turn on with the ignition on), or the horn, or seemingly anything at the handlebars (the start button also returns nothing at all, no click, nothing. This is really bugging me that I can't find the problem. I now think this has gone above my motorcycle repair pay grade(which isn't very had to do), but any additional help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by caberto; 06-16-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:07 PM
laecutter
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caberto ever find the problem? I rode mine 05 to work no issues even stopped for gas started right back up. Got out of work put the key in went to start and turned over but not run. Finished putting on helmet and gloves went to start and nonthing no noise no head light. Put key in acc. speedo light comes on turn it to ing. nonthing. Got home put battery charger on it over night was green light in morning. Came home that night went to start nonthing but the noise sounds like a fule pump; noise is coming from the ing. switch. Have not started electrical testing yet. Have owned since new been pretty problem free, have not touch the electrical. Any suggestions?? or should I just go and replace the voltage reg. ing. relay, all fuses and rectifier? 7 years and 50+K miles.
Thanks

Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 PM
caberto
Road Master

Yea this drove me nuts! Trailered the bike taken all apart to an indy and they found cracked wiring where the wire harness made a tight loop under the seat... They said they had seen similar problems before on the sportsters. It's been running great since they fixed it in June.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 Sportster 1200xl won't start