Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger wobble???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:44 AM
xjayx
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bagger wobble???

So ive been looking into this whole bagger wobble on long sweeping turns, at 80-85 my SG has a slight wobble. I have a true track on it and though the bike feels better the wobble is still there. I have a 18-21 wheel set up with 180 and 120 tires progressive 412's 11.5" shocks 2" drop in springs up front with extra heavy oil. Checked the steering head bearings multiple times tightened them up and still its there. Ive tried different tire pressures in my metzeler tires and noticed the higher pressures ride the best 46 up front and 48 rear feels the best so far. I guess I can live with it but id really like to get rid of this wobble anyone have any success in this department. Ive heard bigger wheels and ape hangers make it more noticeable and I have both so maybe I have to give up some performance for the look I want to have.

Jay

Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Jay, your bike may not have a wobble! If you are 'hanging on' to your bars, that alone will cause the problem you speak of. Make the effort to relax your grip and do whatever you need to relax, at least long enough to ride round one of those fast sweepers.

If I am right, adjust your bars so you can ride in a more relaxed way. Or use lower bars!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

21'' front tire, ape hanger's you are gonna get some wobble. Look at all that leverage you have, all you have to do is look at a hangrip and it's gonna react.

as stated above, relax. Just the tension of you holding the throttle is enough to wobble away.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:47 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

You spent a bunch of time and money to screw up your handling. I know I been there. The factory does in fact set them up pretty good (except for crap suspension).

Old 06-12-2012, 04:12 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Jay, your bike may not have a wobble! If you are 'hanging on' to your bars, that alone will cause the problem you speak of. Make the effort to relax your grip and do whatever you need to relax, at least long enough to ride round one of those fast sweepers.

If I am right, adjust your bars so you can ride in a more relaxed way. Or use lower bars!
There's a lot of truth in this statement, I do it and I even pay attention to my breathing when riding hard and I consciously make an effort to relax and breath. Even though I've been aware of this for many years that I should be relaxed while riding I still have to make an effort some times; comes in real handy when riding in the rain. I usually say to myself settle down and enjoy it, but maybe I'm a nut job.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:15 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EricD10563
There's a lot of truth in this statement, I do it and I even pay attention to my breathing when riding hard and I consciously make an effort to relax and breath. Even though I've been aware of this for many years that I should be relaxed while riding I still have to make an effort some times; comes in real handy when riding in the rain. I usually say to myself settle down and enjoy it, but maybe I'm a nut job.
I learned that lesson with my new FX1200 back in the 70s!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:51 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

No wobble. I've put 8,000 miles on it since December (when I bought it) and have ridden all speeds, on all kinds of roads, in all kinds of conditions. No wobble. I think you did it to yourself.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 PM
xjayx
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya that could be the problem. I think im trying to hard to see if its there that im screwing my self up haha. I noticed a big improvement with the true track and only recently ive been getting a wobble, even with the bars and 21" wheel I swear it wasent there before. I guess ill just have to relax and not worry about it and it will probably be gone again. Thanks guys for the insight.

Jay

Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 PM
BC Glide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for a bad tire. that turned out to be the problem with my 08.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM
JRandall
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but your riding a touring bike, if you want to run 80-85 through turns your on the wrong bike.

Quick Reply: Bagger wobble???