Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future of my Iron - springer front end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Future of my Iron - springer front end?

I really dig my Iron, though I am always thinking about how to customize it to make it more my own and get away from the purely stock look (despite thinking it is one of the best designed stock bikes Harley makes).

I think that at this point I am interested in putting a springer front end on it, and perhaps a big front tire. I'm into the old school look and it would really stand apart out there on the road. I imagine it in flat black or powder coat.

I've read that springers can be noisy. Since people take the time to complain about them, is that a serious problem?

Is there anything I should know about before I start saving up for this project? Any reason to sway be from doing it, such as bad performance/handling?

I'm leaning towards the Led Sled Customs version because not only are they a freaking cool company but because I've read that this is basically a bolt-on part.
http://www.ledsledcustoms.com/produc..._section=Parts

I assume that if I want to run a big front tire, such as what the 48 does, I'd need the wide springer.

This also brings me to a second thought, regarding my exhaust. I had thought about going to V&H Short Shots, but I'm not sure the overall look would go with a springer front end.

I've always liked the Short Shots, both with how they look but also with how they sound (with the quiet baffles giving them a bit deeper tone).

Since I apparently like Led Sled so much and am interested in some of there other parts, I may as well consider their exhaust too. I can't say I am in love with most of their exhaust offerings. Most of their exhaust options are extremely short. I mean shorter than what we would normally consider short.

One that I think may work would be their Qualifier Pipes at about $365. I have no idea what these sound like but I'm sure they'd be loud. Loud is nice, but I also dig a bit of a deeper tone and I'd be afraid of something so short to be kind of high pitched. I'm not sure though and they also suggest installing their torque cones @ $31.50 for a pair.

So any helpful ideas, thoughts, or concerns?
I can't do something like this on my own, but thankfully have friends and buddies with all of the tools necessary. At least one of my buds also has experience with taking bikes apart and putting them back together again, so I'm going to learn a lot with this if I do go through with it.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:22 PM
pointdogg48
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hell yeah bro. it looks sick.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:35 PM
IVthCrusade
Advanced

like the springers and the pipes

Old 06-12-2012, 11:59 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you really want an old school looking springer check out Zero Engineering. They sell the ONLY old school style springer for rubbermount Sportsters.

Led Sled is definitely cool...but their springers aren't old school looking. They're cool, yes but not vintage.

Here's my Nightster with a DNA springer

it's cool but it's not at all old school.

Here's my wife's project bike. It has a for real 75 year old Harley springer.

And here's my Ironhead with an old school stretched Harley springer

I have some others with newer non-HD springers and O.G. springers from the 70's. Nothing rides like a Harley springer. Hands down, nothing. The Led Sled springers are ok but not like HD springers.

If you want your bike to ride like it does you should check out Zero's springers.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone over on the XL Forum actually ordered a Zero Engineering springer because it was suppose to bolt right up. I'm not exactly sure what was up but it wouldn't work. I think he mentioned that it was just one of their regular springers with a "sportster adapter kit". He never did post 100% solid details of why it wouldn't work.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 AM
blindrocket
Road Master

Originally Posted by HERE
Someone over on the XL Forum actually ordered a Zero Engineering springer because it was suppose to bolt right up. I'm not exactly sure what was up but it wouldn't work. I think he mentioned that it was just one of their regular springers with a "sportster adapter kit". He never did post 100% solid details of why it wouldn't work.
That does sound familiar. A bit disheartening. I do appreciate all of the help and advice!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I think that one was on a 48. Steering stops were wrong so you had limited steering........or something like that.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Dafy
Tourer

Might have been this thread, which I had bookmarked?

If the mods don't want an XL link, I apologize, and feel free to delete:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1380354

Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^That's it

Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 PM
blindrocket
Road Master

Sweet, thanks for that link. I wonder how the price comPares on the zero engineering. The led sled 1400.

Quick Reply: Future of my Iron - springer front end?