Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security system

Old 06-26-2012, 07:25 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,878 Likes on 4,670 Posts
Default Security system

When I bout my bike I was told it would have the security system. It didn't but I wasn't charged for so that much is fine I guess.

I read through a search that most bikes come with it but some have been disabled or removed. My bike was ordered through the dealer sight unseen and when I was given the keys it didn't have a fob. So no security system.

I am headed north and was thinking it might be a good idea to have a security system on the bike for the long trip. Last thing I want I to be stranded because she gets stolen. Through the same search I found the Radio Shack siren install.

Is the security system worth the $360 and more importantly, can I install it myself or do I HAVE to have the dealer do it? I have never seen the system in action and know nothing about it. For instance, where is the reciever placed on the bike?

I was thinking between the system, a siren, and my 1911 I could prevent the untimely disapearance of my ride home.

Also, might there be aftermarket systems that may work as well or better than the HD unit?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 PM
suiii15
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't give you a difnitive answer, but from my recent study as to what goes into a tsm replacement I have found this. The security install is switcht from a Turn Signal Module to a Turn Signal Security Module. A simple install but there is an a procedure needed to mate it to your ECM. I have seem the mating procedure posted on here but again, I have never attempted it. Maybe do a search for TSSM install and see what comes up.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:29 PM
styndryinwa
Cruiser

curious what year you bought I assume new and I think all new bikes should come with the fob DH in fife every new bike has the fob

Old 06-26-2012, 09:03 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by styndryinwa
curious what year you bought I assume new and I think all new bikes should come with the fob DH in fife every new bike has the fob
2011. I wanted the security system then but this was the last Denim Black Cross Bones I could find. I purchased her sight unseen and had her shipped in to Texas from Oklahoma.

If it has the fob. It's hidden in the bike, because I sure don't have it and she starts up every time.

Again, when I did a search someone had commented all the new bikes have it (being part of the turn signal modual), but can be disabled so I don't get charged. Sounds stupid but I wouldn't put it past the MoCo. But I have no way of knowing if this is true or not. And if it were true, why would they sell the modual for my bike, if it's already there but disabled?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by suiii15
I can't give you a difnitive answer, but from my recent study as to what goes into a tsm replacement I have found this. The security install is switcht from a Turn Signal Module to a Turn Signal Security Module. A simple install but there is an a procedure needed to mate it to your ECM. I have seem the mating procedure posted on here but again, I have never attempted it. Maybe do a search for TSSM install and see what comes up.
Did a search for Security system and found nothing. Searched TSSM and found a lot! Thank you!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 PM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tsm and tssm are different looking. Yes they have to be mated to the ECM by the dealer. Even it you have the TSSM and it goes bad the new one has to be mated again by a dealer.
This is part of the security of the system. And the dealer has apart in qualifing that the bike isnt stolen.
For example, theoriticaly, you could have the FOB and TSSM. I can steal the bike, lift it up put it on a trailer and drive away, then all I'd have to do is place a new TSSM in it a ride off into the sunset. But it dont work that way.
The dealer has to reset the bike code and verify your the owner.

I think even if you were to pull the TSSM it wont restart untill the ECM is flashed again.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 PM
cb7263
Road Captain
Wink

Originally Posted by styndryinwa
Two 2012 Heritage Softails sitting side by side in the showroom when I bought mine, mine has the security system the other one did not.

Not so dry in North Bend.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our 2012 FLSTC came with the ABS system and the alarm is part of the ABS system package. I don't believe you can get it separately, but, I could be mistaken.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes it is worth the $360.00. Will it stop the theft of your bike 100%, no. With the system you can shut off the bike and walk away for 20 seconds or 20 minutes and know nobody can just jump on and ride away.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:11 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ramboamt
Our 2012 FLSTC came with the ABS system and the alarm is part of the ABS system package. I don't believe you can get it separately, but, I could be mistaken.
You have that backwards. The ABS is part of the alarm system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Security system