Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with TBW on 2009 Ultra

Old 06-27-2012, 09:16 PM
PappyUSMC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with TBW on 2009 Ultra

I have a 2009 Ultra that has already had the twist grip throttle sensor replaced, and now about 1000 miles into the swap, the same problems of inconsistant throttle, error codes, etc are back.

What could be the issue?

Tired of the TBW, any easy way to go backwards, so I dont have to keep spending 90 bucks ona new assembly?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try taking the TBW connection off (behind the AC cover) cleaning it and stuff it full of dielectric grease and reconnect. Seems to me that I read about a service notice on this somewhere on the site. Try a search and you find you are not alone with the problem. Good luck. Ride safe and often.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:57 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Not likely the sensor was ever your problem. If there was a code set it was likely something else. That throttle sensor has a ton of redundency built into it for safety and I haven't heard of any problems with them.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Handlebars been swapped recently or before you bought? If the soldering wasnt complete or done well, its somewhere between the throttle and the hookup.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:56 PM
PappyUSMC
Tourer

I have owned it since mile 3.

I replaced the last Twist Grip Throttle Sensor myself. It uses a standard connector.
I have checked the connections.

I will clean behind the A/C and all the connectors to see if that works.

Anymore advice will help!

Thanks!

Old 07-03-2012, 02:09 AM
emerser
Stage II

I've had the same problem with my 09 ultra. Dealer replaced the twist grip sensor & sent me home (minus $200). That night the same thing happened again. Took it back this time they found a burnt wire in the harness and fixed it. They also reset my SERT which had been running rich, replaced my O2 sensors and spark plugs but said ECU was still throwing plug error code & couldn't figure out why. Sent me home again (minus $580). Today, 1700 miles later it happened again. It's back at the stealership, again. We'll see what they say this time... Bike has 21600 miles

Old 07-03-2012, 02:33 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by emerser
I've had the same problem with my 09 ultra. Dealer replaced the twist grip sensor & sent me home (minus $200). That night the same thing happened again. Took it back this time they found a burnt wire in the harness and fixed it. They also reset my SERT which had been running rich, replaced my O2 sensors and spark plugs but said ECU was still throwing plug error code & couldn't figure out why. Sent me home again (minus $580). Today, 1700 miles later it happened again. It's back at the stealership, again. We'll see what they say this time... Bike has 21600 miles
Logically they may charge you $800 this time

Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You more than likely have a fretting issue. Clean the throttle body and pcm connecters. Then apply electrical grease to the connections. It happens to cars and alot of bikes due to the vibration.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
You more than likely have a fretting issue. Clean the throttle body and pcm connecters. Then apply electrical grease to the connections. It happens to cars and alot of bikes due to the vibration.
According to the dealer this was my problem .. They replaced the ECM with Extended Warranty .. Found a few other things as well .. Was getting code P1511 .. have replied to a couple other threads about this .. Pretty Scary to lose your Power in heavy traffic at 70+ MPH .. One thing did find for a common denominator every time went into Cruise would go into Limp Home Mode, so was no BS is that we can't make it happen ..

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 07-03-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:03 PM
emerser
Stage II

The dealership replaced all the pins, which is what HD tech told them to do. I haven't had the throttle cut out since but I have been having a serious throttle lag issue. I start off, in 1st, or try to accelerate from low RPM, 1600 or below, and it coughs, sputtered, bucks and then takes off (or stalls). The other thing when I got it back was that all my tuning to the SERT was gone and I think the SERT went into test mode.
Anyone else have the throttle lag (hesitation) issues?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Issues with TBW on 2009 Ultra