Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

Shotgun Shock Air Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bikewhisperer
Thanks for taking the time to write your positive experience. Too many people are quick to write negative but don't bother with the positive.

Anyone know if shipping to Canada is an option?
He shipped it to Brunei (Far East) so Kanukistan should be no problem ;-)

Old 07-21-2010, 09:41 AM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
As many of you know, I put a Shotgun air ride on my Deluxe back at the end of March. As I posted during the mod thread, I had JD mod the unit for easy dropping and tranny fluid changes...which he did for NO CHARGE. He also upgraded the compressor and sent me extra pins when I broke one during the install....all at NO CHARGE. I mean the guy went out of his way and over and above to provide customer service when I needed it. Check out my mod thread for more details.

Now get this....today, out of the blue, JD sends me an email today asking how I was doing with the air ride and if it was performing for me. I mean this guy is the real deal. Not only is he busy making new units, I can hardly believe he has taken the time to follow up with me on customer satisfaction. How many other manufacturers have contacted you guys and made sure you were satisfied? I am not talking about a 3rd party survey...this guy sent an email from his business. I could not be more impressed with JD and how he has taken care of me as a customer. And I bought one of the discounted units off ebay.

This guy is the real deal. If you are considering an air ride, I could not give a higher recommendation than Shotgun. The design of the unit is amazing and so is the customer service. I just wanted to give some props where do....
What kind of mod did he do to facilitate oil changes?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 PM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by 08rock
What kind of mod did he do to facilitate oil changes?
He basically changes the mounting on one side so that you can back the mounting bolts out and swing the unit down to get to the tranny plug. A nice little mod fo sho...

Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior

Question for owners, does the bike lower when you increase the firmness of the suspension?

Thanks
Robert

Old 07-23-2010, 12:42 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by j33ptj
Question for owners, does the bike lower when you increase the firmness of the suspension?

Thanks
Robert
Don't you mean... "When you lower the bike, does it increase the firmness of the suspension?"

Just not sure I understood your question.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:48 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior

OK, the instructions say that when you set the ride height than change the firmness, however this lowers the bike again more than on the original height setting.

So when you increase the firmness of the suspension, does your bike lower?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, the instructions say that when you set the ride height than change the firmness, however this lowers the bike again more than on the original height setting.

No it doesn't lower the bike the more you set the firmness. Watch my vid of my bike raising up. Notice how long i let the compressor run even though the bike is topped out. Now it is as stiff as a board and ride hieght didn't lower at all. Then you can use your second switch to lower the bike down while your shocks are stiff.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:51 AM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I know what you're asking, so I'll try to answer as best as I can. Most of this you probably already understand.

If you flip both switches up, your bike will rise. The switch that is running your compressor in the up position is increasing the firmness. If at this point you push that switch down, you'll deflate that side of the shock and the bike will drop.

If your bike is up and you use the other switch that runs the compressor, it lowers your bike, setting your ride height. At this point you'd have your ride height set, and be at pretty much full firmness. Now if you want it softer and lower the 'firmness' switch, your bike may lower some more from where you set it. But if you completely deflate that side the bike will be all the way down, and imo, ride too harsh.

What I do is set the firmness first, then adjust my ride height where I want it. For me it allows me the most amount of travel without being too bouncy or too hard. If I find I need to adjust firmness going down the road, I'm usually close to where it needs to be at this point that a second or two on the firmness switch is all it takes to put it right where it needs to be for me.

I've probably made this sound way more complicated than it is. I messed with mine for a few days trying all different combos and seeing what did what, and how it worked. This setup is infinitely adjustable, which is great because everybody likes a different feel for their ride. Once you find the sweet spot for you, it'll almost be a "set it and forget it" kind of deal. I'm to the point that about the only time I adjust it is to get in and out of my driveway so my pipes don't scrape.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ElSupremo; 07-23-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 AM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

"He shipped it to Brunei (Far East) so Kanukistan should be no problem ;-)"

I'm still laughing! Kanukistan!!! Oh jeez...

Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ElSupremo

What I do is set the firmness first, then adjust my ride height where I want it. For me it allows me the most amount of travel without being too bouncy or too hard. If I find I need to adjust firmness going down the road, I'm usually close to where it needs to be at this point that a second or two on the firmness switch is all it takes to put it right where it needs to be for me.

Hope this helps.
BINGO!!!! LOL.....This is the perfect explanation to setting your ride with the unit. I do just this...

Quick Reply: Shotgun Shock Air Ride