Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

How Shotgun Shocks Work... a write-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 PM
CanuckWhiskey14
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up Jam ..... I did a screen shot of every bit of info you provided as I plan on ordering one over the winter here in Ontario and installing it while in storage in my garage ...

Thanks for taking the time

Old 10-17-2013, 07:42 AM
barchetta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this... this may play a huge role in my setting my softail up as a bagger when I want it as a bagger.. I bet my bike will ride almost? as good as a touring bike? This may be a stretch...

One thing I am a little confused... you mention you are adjusting rebound.. arent you adjusting compression as well if you hold both switches?

It seems to me that you really are adjusting both compression and rebound and not just rebound.. I guess you could for example load up the rear chamber (compression side) as stiff as you like it and then adjust height with the rear.. but then, wouldnt you be adding and subtracting pressure on the compression side as you move the opposite chamber? What separates the two chamber? is it hard or soft between the two.. can one chamber effect (affect?) the other? EDIT: sorry I see its the piston, so they do effect each other.. Id like to know what the piston to cylinder material is.. so I know what kind of life to expect.. teflon? Steel rings?

Eh, I think I just confused myself.

Last edited by barchetta; 10-17-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM
ducatirdr
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for this write up

I purchased the system today and was interested in the dual switch design. This explained it perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to put it down. JD should link these threads from his site.

I just realized this is my first post since joining in 2008. Talk about a lurker!

Last edited by ducatirdr; 01-14-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:30 AM
ducatirdr
Advanced
Default Two up on a Breakout

I was riding down in Daytona with the gf on the back and noticed that I had to hold the preload switch on for a long long time to get the pressure up high enough to keep the shock from bottoming over the smallest bumps. This is the first rides on the bike since installing the new SS. I'm 200lbs and she is under 125lbs. This had me wonder if I had an issue. I have heard that you get the bike fully raised without any weight on it and then hit the raise button for another 10 seconds should be about right for a single rider. On my SS its about 30 seconds. With a passenger it's a lot longer. This has me wonder if there is a blow out circuit should you leave the air pump on too long. It seems that I get the proper pre-load and then I hit a big bump and bottom out and then every smaller crack in the pavement has me bottoming. I jack on the raise bike up button again and I never seem to get enough air in the shock to keep it firm for two up...

What happens if you leave the raise button on too long? Can it blow a seal? Do you think I have a slow leak or am I being a wuss about putting enough air in the thing for two up? I know the new pump is slower than some older models so maybe fill times are longer...???

Old 03-21-2014, 12:53 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ducatirdr
I was riding down in Daytona with the gf on the back and noticed that I had to hold the preload switch on for a long long time to get the pressure up high enough to keep the shock from bottoming over the smallest bumps. This is the first rides on the bike since installing the new SS. I'm 200lbs and she is under 125lbs. This had me wonder if I had an issue. I have heard that you get the bike fully raised without any weight on it and then hit the raise button for another 10 seconds should be about right for a single rider. On my SS its about 30 seconds. With a passenger it's a lot longer. This has me wonder if there is a blow out circuit should you leave the air pump on too long. It seems that I get the proper pre-load and then I hit a big bump and bottom out and then every smaller crack in the pavement has me bottoming. I jack on the raise bike up button again and I never seem to get enough air in the shock to keep it firm for two up...

What happens if you leave the raise button on too long? Can it blow a seal? Do you think I have a slow leak or am I being a wuss about putting enough air in the thing for two up? I know the new pump is slower than some older models so maybe fill times are longer...???
Sounds to me like you definitely have an air leak.
ie; the air from the compressor isn't getting into the shock.

My first thought is, did you push the air line into the air compressor far enough?
If I recall you should have actually heard a click when it bottomed out.
It can be removed again just by pressing down on the outer collar of the compressor connector.
Maybe you should try re-seating it again.

I even went so far on mine to apply a very thin layer of silicone near the end of the air line (but not inside it, or even near the very end).
When I went to seat it into the compressor connector, it even formed a small "bead" to let me know I did it right.
Overkill probably but I just wanted to be sure...

I can raise mine to full height from slammed in about 10-12 seconds.
Once I get mine to the height I want, adding air to increase rebound takes even less..

As far as having the compressor run too long, I believe that's the main reason why J.D. changed to momentary switches from the old "stay on" variety...
Even then if you held the switch too long, I think you'd probably run the risk of burning up the compressor before any other damage.
That thing can get hot in even normal use, that's why you have the finned aluminum "heat sink" cover on the compressor.
The shock body itself seems to be damn near indestructible...

Bottom line is, the SS is plenty strong enough for two-up, you should be able to dial it in for a Cadillac ride even fully loaded.
Certainly, there's NO WAY you should be bottoming out - unless you're intentionally running lowered or slammed.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:01 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have certainly thinking about a air ride system. This is a great thread to keep up on the discussion and stay informed.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks again for composing and posting this, JAM! I used it yesterday to explain how the system works to my wife, who has it installed on her Lo. She finally got it dialed in for her, and had a huge smile when we got back from our little circuit yesterday. Looking forward to better weather today to get out for a while.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:09 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

questoin: does the SS have a simple up/down handlebar control?

the wife would like to air it down to move it around in parking lots,
but she would like to air it up to ride (a good friend of hers did a low-side face plant because her bike was lowered too far)

so...can she raise & lower the SS from a handlebar switch, without moving her hand from the clutch? ( I am thinking pulling up to a stop light, she can drop it ~2 seconds to put her feet down, and then bump it up 2 seconds in twisty sections)

Old 04-11-2014, 07:31 AM
ducatirdr
Advanced

Originally Posted by ducatirdr
I was riding down in Daytona... It seems that I get the proper pre-load and then I hit a big bump and bottom out and then every smaller crack in the pavement has me bottoming. ....
Back here to comment on what my "fix" was. It was a user issue. I talked to JD and I found out that when you add air the compression side(raise bike up) and then add air to rebound (lower bike down) the adding air to rebound has a circuit to compression to let a little air out of compression. I was playing with just the rebound switch to raise, lower, raise, lower and so on would eventually cause my compression to feel like it was leaking.

Once we had that conversation I have not had any issue. The time to fill compression was my messing with rebound all the time. I just needed to firm up the compression after adding rebound.

I did have a switch issue with my compression side. I realized that I was hitting the switch and getting intermittent contact. JD sent me a new switch via express and life is good now. I set the compression, lower it a bit with rebound and then add a bit more compression and it rides perfect all day. I'm really happy with the results. For my bumpy New England roads this shock makes a Softail ride like a FLH. I ride with it up and a touch of rebound for bump absorption and then drop it by dumping compression when I pull into the parking lot. No issues with the shock or air leaks, it's bullet proof.

04ctd - I do like the idea of push buttons on the bar.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:29 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctd
questoin: does the SS have a simple up/down handlebar control?

the wife would like to air it down to move it around in parking lots,
but she would like to air it up to ride (a good friend of hers did a low-side face plant because her bike was lowered too far)

so...can she raise & lower the SS from a handlebar switch, without moving her hand from the clutch? ( I am thinking pulling up to a stop light, she can drop it ~2 seconds to put her feet down, and then bump it up 2 seconds in twisty sections)
AFAIK JD doesn't sell one, but a lot of guys have made their own.
I've seen them mounted in consoles and even micro-buttons integrated into the existing handlebar switch housings.
..or, H-D makes an auxiliary handlebar mount switch kit:
Auxiliary Accessory Switch Housing Kit-70248-02B

..and here's a thread here with some other ideas:
Need ideas on mounting shotgun shock switches on controls

If you want to maintain total control over all the SS functions, you'll still need the two momentary single-pole, double-throw (SPDT) electrical switches – meaning that each controls a single function (or circuit) but it flips in two directions.
Momentary means that when you let go they spring-return back to center (off).

Last edited by jam436; 04-13-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: How Shotgun Shocks Work... a write-up