Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding GPS output without using Aux plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 02:13 PM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 110 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Adding GPS output without using Aux plug

I'm looking to add a 2012 FLHTK - Electra Glide Ultra Limited to my garage. I'm currently riding a 2001 FLHR. On the FLHR I use a Sena Bluetooth helmet for audio and intercom. With the Sena I can listen to music and have the GPS cut in as needed.

Looking at the FLHTK radio it appears that I would need to wire my GPS into the Aux jack and set the radio to Aux in order to hear the prompts. This would also indicate that if I was using the CB I would have to choose listen to the CB or the GPS prompts. I can't seem to find any comments where I can get both.

Is it possible to either splice into the fairing speaker/headset speaker wiring past the radio unit and attach the GPS output? In essence the fairing speaker/headset speaker would then be receiving two sound signals. If this works then whatever is playing out on the radio - music/cb/aux - would be combined with the GPS prompts.

Thoughts?

Old 09-29-2014, 06:29 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

If you buy the Harley Garmin 660 or 665 and the Harley wiring kit everything will work like your asking. Otherwise some companies offer a Bluetooth feature you can add to your stock HK and run your GPS that way, if it has Bluetooth. Those are the only ways I know of to still keep your CB and stock head unit. My SG didn't have a CB so I replaced my stock HK radio with a Sony with Bluetooth and listen to my Garmin 660 through that.

Here's the Harley harness, but for it to work you need the "road tech" Harley version Garmin for it to work.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...terface-module