Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM mounting

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 PM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XM mounting

Well my XM reception sucks. I have it in my trucks and its fine. I was told I should mount my XM receiver up and down in the fairing. I have it mounted on top of the HU flat. My antenna is on my rear fender. 99% of the time I cant get any reception I have no clue what is going on. I can rule out bad area for reception since I have xm in my trucks and it comes in just fine. I just don't see why this would make a difference. Any feed back would help thank you.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by tdgriff
Well my XM reception sucks. I have it in my trucks and its fine. I was told I should mount my XM receiver up and down in the fairing. I have it mounted on top of the HU flat. My antenna is on my rear fender. 99% of the time I cant get any reception I have no clue what is going on. I can rule out bad area for reception since I have xm in my trucks and it comes in just fine. I just don't see why this would make a difference. Any feed back would help thank you.
Harley XM module and antenna?

Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

My antenna is inside the fairing magnet stuck to the factory radio. Works great

Old 10-20-2014, 09:19 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

no nutz it from best buy I have a after market hu kenwood .

Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 PM
immusicman
Cruiser

I just installed my satellite radio svx200, I think that was the model, with my Jensen radio and I put the antenna right on top of the dash pad in the center almost against the windshield on my inner fairing. I can't believe how good it picks up. Parked in my garage and still had enough reception to play the radio. Appears to be the best set up I have ever had, far as Sirius XM. I had a XM radio add on my last screamin eagle electra glide and tried to use the antenna at the rear fender also and I also had horrible reception. It was so bad I stopped the subscription and gave up. This time I am glad I chose to put it on the dash pad.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:22 AM
tdgriff
Club Member

Thanks Guys I will try the dash to see if I get better reception.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:26 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

up until about 8 months or so ago my XM antenna whether HD or aftermarket was mounted inside fairing Velcro-d to the top of the speedo housing. Something changed (satellite repositioning or something along those lines) at that point because my reception went to hell. Changed antenna's, replaced sony xm module, etc. nothing seemed to work. So I changed head units to the Kenwood I'm running now with the appropriate XM module/antenna. Same issue. Moved antenna to the outside of the fairing sitting to the left of the windshield bag and just above stock fairing speaker. No issues since.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:17 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
up until about 8 months or so ago my XM antenna whether HD or aftermarket was mounted inside fairing Velcro-d to the top of the speedo housing. Something changed (satellite repositioning or something along those lines) at that point because my reception went to hell. Changed antenna's, replaced sony xm module, etc. nothing seemed to work. So I changed head units to the Kenwood I'm running now with the appropriate XM module/antenna. Same issue. Moved antenna to the outside of the fairing sitting to the left of the windshield bag and just above stock fairing speaker. No issues since.
Thanks nutz . I will mount in that spot and see what happens. I think I owe you about a keg of beer for all your help this year.