Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD '14+ Lids

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:59 AM
jayhawkclint
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default HD '14+ Lids

In retrospect, wishing I would've just waited for the aftermarket to catch up. Ordered the HD lids when I bought my '14 Ultra. Just now getting around to installing. The protective baskets are made to fit the tiny MoCo magnets, so first thing I had to do was take a saw blade to some $400 lids. Once the baskets were cut, realized the opening is not a standard 5x7 opening; some kind of odd bolt pattern to allow mounting the HD tweeter bridge and the grilles. So, had to do a little grinding on my speakers to get them to fit. Now trying to decide if I need to fabricate some kind of plate to ensure watertight seal. Bottom line, unless you're happy with the Boom speakers, just go with an aftermarket lid.

Update: After trying many different brands, I have found that the lid is designed for some kind of Euro-fit 5x7 pattern. I'm not sure what vehicles exactly used this pattern as an OEM speaker, but I have seen reference to Ford and Mazda. Anyway, a speaker that has 6x8 listed anywhere on the box will either not fit or require excessive grinding. True 5x7 speakers will fit with an adapter plate like the one V-twin audio offers (I made my own before the V-twin model came out, but it leaked), but most speakers have "ears" that need to be nipped off and filed. All in all, these lids have been a pain in the *** and if Hog Tunes or Voodoo had been out at the time of purchase, I most definitely would have gone that route instead.

Last edited by jayhawkclint; 01-31-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawkclint
In retrospect, wishing I would've just waited for the aftermarket to catch up. Ordered the HD lids when I bought my '14 Ultra. Just now getting around to installing. The protective baskets are made to fit the tiny MoCo magnets, so first thing I had to do was take a saw blade to some $400 lids. Once the baskets were cut, realized the opening is not a standard 5x7 opening; some kind of odd bolt pattern to allow mounting the HD tweeter bridge and the grilles. So, had to do a little grinding on my speakers to get them to fit. Now trying to decide if I need to fabricate some kind of plate to ensure watertight seal. Bottom line, unless you're happy with the Boom speakers, just go with an aftermarket lid.
Good info Clint! Guys been asking me about that and my answer has always been "I don't know" cause I have not done that job yet. This odd bolt pattern you speak of. . . Is it not consistent with say the HAT 5 x 7 speaker pattern? Sounds like Harley did some proprietary engineering in an attempt to prevent us from adding aftermarket speakers in that location? or at the very least make it a PITA.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:32 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Good info Clint! Guys been asking me about that and my answer has always been "I don't know" cause I have not done that job yet. This odd bolt pattern you speak of. . . Is it not consistent with say the HAT 5 x 7 speaker pattern? Sounds like Harley did some proprietary engineering in an attempt to prevent us from adding aftermarket speakers in that location? or at the very least make it a PITA.
Gann... I hear you. The whole Rushmore audio thing is a nightmare IMO... they are making modding just harder. Now the cvo lids on the 14 plus might be proprietary. ..arrggghhh. They probably figured out more and more are putting better stuff on bikes than they can offer so trying to make it virtually impossible. One reason I will stick with 2013... at least some freedom.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:48 PM
4nic8
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Focal, HAT, and JM make a direct bolt on 5x7 for the harley lids is my understanding. Soundz Customz sells the Focal and HAT 5x7s

Old 10-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by 4nic8
Focal, HAT, and JM make a direct bolt on 5x7 for the harley lids is my understanding. Soundz Customz sells the Focal and HAT 5x7s
I know JM does. I've seen the video . . . lol and I know the focals and Hat 5 x 7's are nice speakers as well. Just never understood why a guy would want 5 x 7's in the lids? Now two 5 x 7's in each lid might be a different story.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:10 PM
4nic8
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for the - I only wanna deal with factory lids kinda person so they know 100% color match (in theory anyway), I agree it's an anemic 6x9 really. My struggle is more with going for a voodoo 8.8 lid or hogtunes 6x9 which for my 14 means waiting till spring.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:02 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay, I got some tunes going, but probably going to have to change these out 2 or 3 times before I'm happy. Got myself a pair of Rockford Punch 5x7 and 6x8 here. The 5x7 are currently in the lids, but I had to make a spacer to get them to seal. The opening and bolt pattern of the Rushmore lids are very close to a standard aftermarket 6x8 size because of the MoCo tweeter bridge design, but the lid grilles won't clear them without a lot of shaving. I *think* the RF P1683 speakers will fit with some grinding along the edge of the baskets. It's kind of irritating that HD would design these lids for such a limited choice of speakers.