Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 CVO Street Glide Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 AM
mduncan62
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 CVO Street Glide Questions

Anybody that has a 2012 CVO street glide that has made changes to the audio on here?

I'd be interested in what you did. It's an 8 speaker setup stock, with 2 amps, and has the Ipod interface in the right rear bag. I'm not crazy about the sound.

Interested in knowing if you change to the Jenson model, for example, would you be able to use the ipod and amps from the stock setup?

I had completely tricked out my 07, but due to the deal I got and the timing, It all went with the bike.

So, now I'm looking at possibly doing some mods, slowly. The payments on the cvo will dictate that a little.

Also, if you switched out all the speakers, I'd be interested in knowing what you went with. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:30 AM
tpb857
Road Captain

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

I had the exact same bike that you have and then traded it on my present bike. I changed everything but the HU. No doubt an improvement. I went with all Biketronics speakers. I went with the Biketronics 4180 amp. BT made the wiring for me for the CVO connectors and wiring harnesses for the lowers, no charge. Ipod module still worked as it did with the stock system.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:03 AM
mduncan62
Tourer

Thanks tpb857! I'm going to check that out.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:42 PM
mduncan62
Tourer

If I guy went with J&M speakers, leaving the Boom audio amps in, would there be a huge gain?

Old 10-25-2014, 01:46 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mduncan62
If I guy went with J&M speakers, leaving the Boom audio amps in, would there be a huge gain?
Yes..

Old 10-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Yes..
JM without the boom amps would be a huge gain. . . lol Sorry NUTZ I couldn't resist.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:55 PM
mduncan62
Tourer

OK, and to follow that up, would any set of say, kicker speakers also be a huge improvement over the boom speakers?

Just trying to gauge what matters here, do I have enough amp for good sound, just need better speakers?

Old 10-25-2014, 11:27 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by mduncan62
OK, and to follow that up, would any set of say, kicker speakers also be a huge improvement over the boom speakers?

Just trying to gauge what matters here, do I have enough amp for good sound, just need better speakers?
Honestly the boom amp sucks (160 watt amp. 40 watts per speaker) Get rid of anything that says BOOM on it. Go with JM or Biketronics. Kicker is a HUGE improvement over the booms but again. . . You need a decent amp.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:00 AM
tpb857
Road Captain

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

When I had my CVO SG and was kicking around what to get, I called Biketronics and talked to Bill. He is very helpful and he will set you up if you want to go that route. As I said above, I changed out all of my speakers and went with the 4180 amp. If I was going to do it all over again, I would probably just change out the fairing and lowers speakers. Unless I was just going to sit in the garage and listen to it, I don't think that the bag speakers do that much for it when you're going down the highway. Just my opinion. In addition, the 6x9s seemed to be quite a bit bigger and heavier. I think that you could also go with BT's 2180 amp if you left the bags alone.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:31 AM
mduncan62
Tourer

Yeah, I'm kicking that idea around. According to the specs, the amp in the back bag is 200 Watt and only drives the 5x7's (or whatever size they are). I don't think they do much either.

Being as this is a CVO, and likely my last MC for several years, I am going to take some time and decide what the best route is. I haven't cracked the fairing open to see how they wired everything up with regards to the tweeters in the gauges. Almost seems like a guy could buy some quality subs, and replace the tweeters with qaulity, then add a set of bt's or rokkers to the lowers, and have a good sound. Then amp to follow if needed.

I really want to do it one time for speakers, and one time for amp if I go that route. So, it's not something I'm just going to make a rash decision on.

Quick Reply: 2012 CVO Street Glide Questions