Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head unit suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 03:31 AM
zukeepr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head unit suggestions

OK OK I know this is a dead ,worn out subject but, its almost Halloween so let's raise the dead. Looking for a good head unit. Marine or other wise.2013 limited, Running cvb4 amp,CDT fourm convertible speakers in front, kappa 62.11 in rear. Don't care about CD player. I will be using mp3 player and thumb drives. Needs 4v or 5v outs. Read reviews on the iPod tray systems and most said player would get hot inside the radio and stop playing. Looking towards the new aquatics when they come out but that's a lot of chrome money to spend. Any and all suggestions are welcome

Old 10-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

I have to take issue with the reviews on the Sony. I have this unit myself and have installed the same unit on several bikes for the last two years and I have not heard of anyone saying "it gets hot and stops playing" The specific model I'm referring to is the Sony DSX-S310BTX. This is the one with the tune tray. Everyone I know who has it loves it! But if you are gun shy about this unit another one of my favorites is this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Ou8aAk5r8P8HAQ

Both of these units require a V-Twin rain cover. That said you may be money ahead waiting on the aquatics unit. I have not done the math.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:44 AM
zukeepr
Cruiser

The reviews I read was on the dsxm60. I like the one you have but wasn't sure how rugged it is. Will the vtwin cover work with Harley chrome radio trim?
I may wait on the aquatic but Santa is coming soon and SHE wants to know about a present. Thanks Gan for all your help. I may pm you at a later date with questions.
BTW... Those CDT speaker's are great. Good bass and phenomenal center stage present. I know there not jl but you might send someone that way to look hard at them. CDT woofers and tweets interchange, so you can make up any combo you want. Thanks again

Last edited by zukeepr; 10-24-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:20 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by zukeepr
The reviews I read was on the dsxm60. I like the one you have but wasn't sure how rugged it is. Will the vtwin cover work with Harley chrome radio trim?
I may wait on the aquatic but Santa is coming soon and SHE wants to know about a present. Thanks Gan for all your help. I may pm you at a later date with questions.
BTW... Those CDT speaker's are great. Good bass and phenomenal center stage present. I know there not jl but you might send someone that way to look hard at them. CDT woofers and tweets interchange, so you can make up any combo you want. Thanks again
Cool. . . No you have to take the trim off with the V-twin cover. It won't fit. It looks really nice if you have the inner faring painted.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Kave Dweller
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very happy with my Kenwood 598, for price and features, was hard to beat.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:56 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/searc...sony+mex-m70bt
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...X-GS610BT.html

Currently on sale for $160 using the 20% off code.

Last edited by troop; 10-25-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by troop
nice!

Old 10-25-2014, 03:57 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

I am a big fan of kenwood kdc-x798 I had the sony dsx-5310btx. Not a fan of it at all love my Kenwood way more features and color options. I love the rear usb option. I even bought one for my truck and boat.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by tdgriff
I am a big fan of kenwood kdc-x798 I had the sony dsx-5310btx. Not a fan of it at all love my Kenwood way more features and color options. I love the rear usb option. I even bought one for my truck and boat.
Gotta love Kenwood! If it's Sony. Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine. You can't hardly go wrong.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:43 AM
zukeepr
Cruiser

Thanks for everyone's input. Still hard to decide.

Quick Reply: Head unit suggestions