Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision, decision, decisions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:27 PM
redneckharley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decision, decision, decisions

I need advise on where to mount speakers on my '09 Ultra. I have a R/F PBR 300x 4, a pair of Kicker 40CS654 on hand without covers. I need help deciding what speakers for next pair. The choices are Infinity 612m, or Polk DB651, or another set of kickers. Does anyone have a set of speaker covers for the Kicker 40CS654 laying around that they would like to get rid of? Depending on what order speakers are to be mounted I might need those covers. Thanks for any assistance

Old 10-24-2014, 04:51 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

If you MUST buy Polks, get the MM651 instead. It's rated at 100w instead of 60w like the DB. The downside it they have a crossover that has to be concealed. Easy enough to do under the fairing, not so much with lowers. Another good choice are Infiniti 62.11's. Many here use them, myself included. I went through a set of DB's first, popped then within a few days behind a SS 520D. Replaced with MM651's and after a couple of months one started buzzing. The stalk had sagged from perpendicular and the woofer cone was rubbing on it. Replaced under Polk warranty. Second pair did the same thing, so I went with the Infiniti's. Don't want to be a bummer, but some knowledgeable guys here don't recommend the PBR 4 channel amp because it gets hot.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:53 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh, and I used my old Polk covers on the lowers

Old 10-24-2014, 05:01 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I'd stay away from the DB651's. They're not powerful speakers and will quickly blow. I've blown several sets.

The MM651's are known to melt. Do a search here on MM651's and you'll be surprised as to how many failed folks here.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

My buddy put kickers on his Ultra front and rear with some sort of amp and the stock head unit and my Biketronics front only 7.1"'s with the RF amp and Sony head unit still blows his system out of the water by a mile.

He was excited when he turned it on for me to listen and too and I was extremely disappointed with the sound quality and overall volume of his setup. I didn't rub mine in his face but turned it on for comparison sake.

I'll pay extra for BT speakers with a lifetime warranty. They are worth it.

In my last bike I had Infinity Kappa 6211 in the front Kappa 6x9 in the bags with an Alpine head unit and Alpine amp and that bike rocked too.

Last edited by Hogpro; 10-24-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:54 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by redneckharley
I need advise on where to mount speakers on my '09 Ultra. I have a R/F PBR 300x 4, a pair of Kicker 40CS654 on hand without covers. I need help deciding what speakers for next pair. The choices are Infinity 612m, or Polk DB651, or another set of kickers. Does anyone have a set of speaker covers for the Kicker 40CS654 laying around that they would like to get rid of? Depending on what order speakers are to be mounted I might need those covers. Thanks for any assistance
As Kryingame said stay away from the DB's. Just not very good speakers. I have a set of kickers sitting on my shelf with screens if you need em. They are the newer model KSC67's . They hit hard. Shoot me a PM.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:28 PM
redneckharley
Cruiser

PM sent to Gannicus. Thanks for your assistance

Old 10-24-2014, 10:41 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Your just down the road if you ever want to hear the biketronics in person? I pass through all the time to go visit my daughter in UNC Pembroke.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:29 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

PM sent to Gannicus. Thanks for your assistance
Didn't get the PM Sir. . . .

Old 10-25-2014, 07:31 AM
redneckharley
Cruiser
Default Speakers

Sorry Gannicus I sent another one to you and HD Rolling Thanks for your assistance.

Quick Reply: Decision, decision, decisions