Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:18 PM
aclaimsman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Install?

Guys,

This may be a long winded post so bear with me. I have a 2012 RK Police that I have completely stripped for paint. While it is being painted, I decided to add an aftermarket fairing and stereo setup. I purchased a Bad Roses one piece fairing (bad choice), not the fairing itself, but so little and limited space to work in. I bought it due to the fact it has a large faceplate and the thought of adding a double din radio. I haven't bought a radio yet as I cannot find a splash shield to cover it, so may have to go a different direction. I did purchase a Soundstream Picasso Nano amp and 4 Polk speakers. I thought that I would be able to put the amp inside the fairing (don't even know how I am going to mount a radio unless it has a U bracket), but that ain't happening, again not enough space. Now I am left with the option of putting the amp in a saddlebag and to be honest I thought this would be a simple project, but I am way in over my head. I have no idea what the heck to do at this point. Any help, step by step instructions, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:58 PM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have pics that would help a lot ? Try taking in side fairing and out. We have a lot of great Guy's on this forum that will help you out. As much info you can give helps a lot.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by aclaimsman
Guys,

This may be a long winded post so bear with me. I have a 2012 RK Police that I have completely stripped for paint. While it is being painted, I decided to add an aftermarket fairing and stereo setup. I purchased a Bad Roses one piece fairing (bad choice), not the fairing itself, but so little and limited space to work in. I bought it due to the fact it has a large faceplate and the thought of adding a double din radio. I haven't bought a radio yet as I cannot find a splash shield to cover it, so may have to go a different direction. I did purchase a Soundstream Picasso Nano amp and 4 Polk speakers. I thought that I would be able to put the amp inside the fairing (don't even know how I am going to mount a radio unless it has a U bracket), but that ain't happening, again not enough space. Now I am left with the option of putting the amp in a saddlebag and to be honest I thought this would be a simple project, but I am way in over my head. I have no idea what the heck to do at this point. Any help, step by step instructions, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
aclaimsman - Have you heard of these guys?

http://recklessmotorcycles.com/index...uct_detail&p=8

Most guys I know with a RK run these. Not too familiar with the bad roses fairing. I'm lost on this one. Need to elevate this issue up to Nutz. I'm sure he'll chime in.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:52 PM
aclaimsman
Intermediate

Not sure this will help, but:

Attached Thumbnails Stereo Install?-dsc01997.jpg   Stereo Install?-dsc01998.jpg   Stereo Install?-dsc02000.jpg  
Old 11-22-2014, 12:15 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

That thing is hideous . . Nothing is going fit in that thing. Yeah you definitely need to go in a different direction. Especially if you want to install an amp in there. Check out the reckless fairings brother and get your money back on that one. Get the one with the two Polk 6 x 9's and a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 amp with the Sony Stereo and call it a day.

http://recklessmotorcycles.com/index...ct_detail&p=92

Old 11-22-2014, 01:07 AM
immusicman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gannicus
That thing is hideous . . Nothing is going fit in that thing. Yeah you definitely need to go in a different direction. Especially if you want to install an amp in there. Check out the reckless fairings brother and get your money back on that one. Get the one with the two Polk 6 x 9's and a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 amp with the Sony Stereo and call it a day.

http://recklessmotorcycles.com/index...ct_detail&p=92
Well I am a bit surprised. I went to the bad roses website and looked at all of their fairings and I swear, each one of these fairings are the exact same model fairings built by a guy in central Florida by the name of Arkady. I had one custom built by him for a yamaha I had once when I lived there. The fairing quality is fantastic on Arkady fairings, but the cost was much less than what bad roses is getting out of them. Arkady developed those embossed wings and I have pictures of the model fairings he designed and builds, and these are spitting images. About 600 bucks per fairing, actually I just checked my emails from him, and this particular model is 400 bucks plus shipping, but he only makes one after it is ordered. Like I said, they are really good fairings, but unless you have a tiny amp, you won't be fitting them in those fairings. I ended up placing an amp in the left saddle bag of my old bike. Far as I know, there is no weather head or plastic protector made for a double din radio that would work on that fairing. Here is a pic from Arkady's design and fairing. I was there when he was sculpting this fairing before he ever actually made any of them in 2011 and this looks EXACTLY like the one in the pic from what I can tell.

Attached Thumbnails Stereo Install?-s17.jpg   Stereo Install?-s26.jpg  

Last edited by immusicman; 11-22-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:53 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by immusicman
Well I am a bit surprised. I went to the bad roses website and looked at all of their fairings and I swear, each one of these fairings are the exact same model fairings built by a guy in central Florida by the name of Arkady. I had one custom built by him for a yamaha I had once when I lived there. The fairing quality is fantastic on Arkady fairings, but the cost was much less than what bad roses is getting out of them. Arkady developed those embossed wings and I have pictures of the model fairings he designed and builds, and these are spitting images. About 600 bucks per fairing, actually I just checked my emails from him, and this particular model is 400 bucks plus shipping, but he only makes one after it is ordered. Like I said, they are really good fairings, but unless you have a tiny amp, you won't be fitting them in those fairings. I ended up placing an amp in the left saddle bag of my old bike. Far as I know, there is no weather head or plastic protector made for a double din radio that would work on that fairing. Here is a pic from Arkady's design and fairing. I was there when he was sculpting this fairing before he ever actually made any of them in 2011 and this looks EXACTLY like the one in the pic from what I can tell.
Lol . . . Musicman that pic of your fairing looks pretty good. Maybe aclaimsman just took a bad pic. But I was looking at the orange area which I assume is the back of the fairing and it doesn't look like you can put much of anything in there. I have a couple of friends with the reckless fairing and they are running the fosgate X2 with the 6.5 polks. One guy took the Polks out and replaced them with infinity's and the darn thing sounds pretty good for a two speaker system. The 6.5 Polks that come with the reckless fairings are the cheapo's I forget the model number. I was also looking at the speaker holes and they look like they are set up for 5.25 speakers. Could be wrong.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:39 AM
immusicman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Lol . . . Musicman that pic of your fairing looks pretty good. Maybe aclaimsman just took a bad pic. But I was looking at the orange area which I assume is the back of the fairing and it doesn't look like you can put much of anything in there. I have a couple of friends with the reckless fairing and they are running the fosgate X2 with the 6.5 polks. One guy took the Polks out and replaced them with infinity's and the darn thing sounds pretty good for a two speaker system. The 6.5 Polks that come with the reckless fairings are the cheapo's I forget the model number. I was also looking at the speaker holes and they look like they are set up for 5.25 speakers. Could be wrong.
You are right, these are set up for 5.25, not 6.5. I never thought about that. The last fairing I bought was from wide open custom, and I would buy another in a heart beat, if I needed one. Very light weight, made of high impact abs plastic, and I couldn't fit an amp in it either, but man it was one fine fairing. It didn't break the bank either. Arkady fairings are also some of the best looking fairings I have seen. The junk from ebay isn't worth setting it on fire. I have been riding a long time and done quite a few fairings when I got tired of just the shield. I am glad I have my CVO batwing bike now, no more worrying about it!

Old 11-22-2014, 06:18 AM
aclaimsman
Intermediate

As much as would like to get another fairing, that is out of the question and I will be working with what I have. Musicman, I do believe that the fairing I have is the same one you show, quality yes, workspace no. With that said, can anyone tell me how to wire this up if the amp is placed in a saddlebag? BTW, I purchased a Picasso Nano 550 watt with 2 Polk MM521 and 2 Polk MM651 speakers. As I said, can't decide on a radio.

Last edited by aclaimsman; 11-22-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:45 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by aclaimsman
Guys,

so you've got a fairing with 4 speakers and a head unit.

do you think you can get this in there?

I've used these in tight space installs plenty of times. They're pretty impressive for what they are.

Quick Reply: Stereo Install?