Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Upgrade 2010 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Electrotech
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
I hear you brother. . . Not exactly sure where your info is coming from. Certainly not this forum. True. Harley owners love the Polks. But it is also true they have had severe quality problems in the last couple years. The PBR300X2 is good as advertised. It's a great amp and does not get hot unless you run into one that is defective. I know at least 50-100 guys running that amp. Just FYI in regard to the infinity's. They might be rated 75 watts RMS but they will take 150 watts plus all day every day. Ask me how I know. . .
Ok, looked into them further. Good thing about amazon you can cancel items if they haven't shipped yet. So I cancelled the Polks and put the Infinitys on order.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Electrotech
Ok, looked into them further. Good thing about amazon you can cancel items if they haven't shipped yet. So I cancelled the Polks and put the Infinitys on order.
Good Decision . . Keep us posted.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:12 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

I am with ya on the amazon part and welcome to the never ending quest for just a little more..... I'm sure what you got ordered will ROCK.. Guys around here or on this forum are a great help and not all stuck on the exact same thing so it is a great resource. Good luck and let us know how ya do.
Kris

Old 11-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
I am with ya on the amazon part and welcome to the never ending quest for just a little more..... I'm sure what you got ordered will ROCK.. Guys around here or on this forum are a great help and not all stuck on the exact same thing so it is a great resource. Good luck and let us know how ya do.
Kris
Yeah guys I buy the majority of my stuff from amazon as well. But sometimes Ebay has the same stuff 20 to 30% cheaper. The thing with ebay is you have to find a reputable seller that's been on there for about 10 years with 99% good feedback. Take it one step further and READ the feedback. One thing about Ebay buyers. . . They will throw a seller under the bus in a heartbeat of they are not satisfied. I've had good luck buying and selling on Ebay.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:00 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Yeah guys I buy the majority of my stuff from amazon as well. But sometimes Ebay has the same stuff 20 to 30% cheaper. The thing with ebay is you have to find a reputable seller that's been on there for about 10 years with 99% good feedback. Take it one step further and READ the feedback. One thing about Ebay buyers. . . They will throw a seller under the bus in a heartbeat of they are not satisfied. I've had good luck buying and selling on Ebay.
me too... sold HIGH end 2 channel amp on ebay that went way over my BUY NOW price lol...

to OP: I run polks and love them (and probably am really lucky having a good set).
I am going to cut out the low frequency as I got lid speakers as well.
X2 - had it, really good little amp (specs are correct!) went to my brothers SG together with MM651's I picked up here on the forum.

62.11i's are widely used here on the forum.
cannot go wrong with them.
if you buy the Rockford RFK10 wiring kit, it will extend your warranty on the PBR300x2 with another year (to be found on ebay for about 22-25 buck). this instead of the Boss 8AWG set Gannicus suggested...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKFORD-FOS...item4d2871df9a

and... aftermarket HU is the next thing trust me...

Last edited by AAWAV; 11-27-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:08 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by AAWAV
me too... sold HIGH end 2 channel amp on ebay that went way over my BUY NOW price lol...

to OP: I run polks and love them (and probably am really lucky having a good set).
X2 - had it, really good little amp (specs are correct!) went to my brothers SG together with MM651's I picked up here on the forum.

if you buy the Rockford RFK10 wiring kit, it will extend your warranty on the PBR300x2 with another year (to be found on ebay for about 22-25 buck). this instead of the Boss 8AWG set Gannicus suggested...

if you buy the RF10 wiring kit, it will extend your warranty on the PBR300x2 with another year (to be found on ebay for about 22-25 buck). this instead of the Boss 8AWG set Gannicus suggested...

I'm in the cost savings business Sir! It's what I do for a living. Although I don't practice what I preach in any form or fashion. . . lol

Old 11-27-2014, 06:26 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats on picking up a great bike, if the stereo is all stock your really going to love the new upgrades. Like performance mods, once you start playing with the audio its hard to stop. Ive have had J&M and Boom audio in my bike and currently run Biketronics, you'll get some great advice here in the audio forums!

Old 12-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Electrotech
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AAWAV

didn't know that about extending the warranty but I'm glad. I did purchase the RFK10 wiring kit along with the amp. It had a fuse built in line where it didn't look like the boss did. Also, I have a friend that recommended going with the RF kit. He's always used them and really likes their quality of wire over the cheaper ones.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:05 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I always tell people on the fence, buy speakers first then add amp later if needed. In your case since you've already stated that you don't need it loud, just be able to hear it at 70.

In that case, I'd recommend you simply change the stock speakers out with a set of 2Ω Infinity Kappa 62.11i to match the stock head unit. You'll need a set of adapter rings as well. There are a lot of adapter rings out there but the only ones I'll recommend are the arc-audio rings because of the quality and no fitment issues. I'm seeing quite a few issues with the cheaper eBay crap so.. Get you a small roll of thin layered polyfil from Walmart crafts section and wrap 3 thin layers in a 15x15 square around the speaker before you put your fairing back on.

The speakers mentioned above will set the stage for further upgrades as well by utilizing a 2Ω stable amp. Many manufacturers out there for good 2 channel amps; Biketronics, J&M, Arc-Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Soundstream, etc. in no certain order.

Based on your needs mentioned, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the sound improvement and good set of speakers will make in comparison to the crap HD installs on these expensive bikes.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks for the offer but I have once again found myself too hasty. I already placed the order through Amazon. I don't like Ebay. I went with the Polk's. The Infinity's just have a lower power rating at 75W RMS at 2 ohm and the Polks are 100W RMS when the amp will be putting out 150W RMS at 2 ohm. I'll just set the amp to about 75% power. Unfortunately I didn't see any reviews about the Polk's having issues so hopefully everything will work out. I read a lot of reviews from Harley owners loving the Polk's.

One thing I'm concerned about it I read a few reviews on the amp saying it got very hot and shut down from over-temp. I may try and set lower like 50% power just for some heat savings.
No offense but you should read more. I'm the one who actually introduced most of these guys to the Polk lineup a couple of years ago based on my own (over 2 years running them) experiences which were remarkable. About 5 or 6 months after making the recommendation and folks started installing them, the Polk speakers started having issues with the tweeter stalks coming loose and shorting out the speakers. After many conversations with Polk engineers I was finally able to get to the bottom of what I blame the issues on and that was a manufacturing plant change. Cheaper labor, cheaper glues, etc. Unless they've fixed that in the past 6 months, I'd return those Polks and go with the Infinity speakers.

As for the amp, don't believe everything you read on these forums and the internet. It's all great, mediocre, or total crap if you believe everything you read. That amp has proven itself many times over to be a great product. You sure you're not confusing your research with the PBR300x2 with the PBR300x4? The 4 was known to have heat issues when they first came out but RF took care of that in short fashion, still the 300x4 IMO lacks the power you need to drive a good set of speakers.

Just my since you asked.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade 2010 FLHX