Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

memory stick

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 09:23 AM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default memory stick

OK I am having a problem with a Kenwood kdc-x798. I have 3 of them installed . I loaded up a new memory stick with music from a different stick. I wanted a back up stick. Well I plug it in and the screen comes up with no device . I tried all 3 hu and it does the same. I plug it into my lab top and it plays fine. So what am I doing wrong?

Old 12-23-2014, 11:30 AM
mds
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the pendrives formated the same way? (System file?)

I assume that the reader reads pendrives in fat32 format.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:22 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

yep - make sure it is FAT32

Old 12-23-2014, 12:27 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

Originally Posted by mds
Are the pendrives formated the same way? (System file?)

I assume that the reader reads pendrives in fat32 format.
How do you do that . I am just getting into the sticks .Trying new school stuff.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:37 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tdgriff
How do you do that . I am just getting into the sticks .Trying new school stuff.
here we go - Computers for dummies LMAO... Right up my Alley, as I am in Software...

put your stick in a USB port, open you windows explorer, right click on the "drive" representing your USB Stick (in my case it is AUDIO3) and select "Properties".

you should see the File System Value as FAT32.

If not, then close this window and do a right click again on the USB stick "drive" and now select "Format". Make sure it FAT32 and while at it give the drive a name in the Volume Label you like.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:43 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

Originally Posted by AAWAV
here we go - Computers for dummies LMAO... Right up my Alley, as I am in Software...

put your stick in a USB port, open you windows explorer, right click on the "drive" representing your USB Stick (in my case it is AUDIO3) and select "Properties".

If not, then close this window and do a right click again on the USB stick "drive" and now select "Format". Make sure it FAT32 and while at it give the drive a name in the Volume Label you like.

Thanks bro I will give it a try . happy holidays to you and your family.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:59 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

did everything you said went through the steps and it still says the same thing . could it just be my usb stick is not the right brand?

Old 12-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Brew61
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

The brand should not make any difference. If you have tried different sticks and get the same results and in different HU's then I would contact Kenwood and ask them why this is happening.

Maybe their HU only read certain types of files. Or maybe they can not be in folders or something like that who knows forsure. But they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Bruce

Old 12-23-2014, 04:06 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

also - did you change any tags on the mp3's? if it does not make any sense what I am saying you are a real Computer dummy LOL - kidding right...
if you used the exact same files as on the original stick, you can basically ignore what I am saying above, especially when the original one works fine... send the usb to me and I will (try to) fix

also, assume it is USB 2.0 right?

Old 12-23-2014, 04:07 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

Originally Posted by AAWAV

It comes up as exfat that's what the other memory sticks are formatted as. The new one comes up with ex fat and a few others the existing one only comekilobytes xFat default or 128 kilobytes. I try changing the format again and it still comes up with no device

Quick Reply: memory stick