Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo 660 install help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:47 AM
07 street bob
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zumo 660 install help

I just purchased a Roadtech Zumo 660 for my 07 Ultra and was not sure of the install. I looked over a few post but could not come up with the answers.
Do I need the interface kit to make it work (70169-06A)? If not how would I hook it up? I also would like to use the aux. plug in the front of the radio for my I pod. Can I or do I have to use this for the GPS. If the GPS has to hook up there how can I listen to my I pod? Is there a way to have the bluetooth come through a headset? Any other parts I might need to make it work? Looking to wire it in direct so it stays charged. Any other suggestions would really help.
Thank you again...

Old 01-30-2015, 06:11 AM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Surprised somebody hasn't chimed in but you might want to ask on the touring forum.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:10 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't have the roadtech 660 so I had to connect mine via Bluetooth to my Sony head unit. Seeing that you do have the roadtech I would defiantly install the interface kit, I believe it connect to the rear of your radio so you would still have your aux free to use for your music in front.

If you wanted to use a Bluetooth head set you could add music to your 660 with a memory card and hear your music and gps guidance that way.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:00 PM
07 street bob
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
I don't have the roadtech 660 so I had to connect mine via Bluetooth to my Sony head unit. Seeing that you do have the roadtech I would defiantly install the interface kit, I believe it connect to the rear of your radio so you would still have your aux free to use for your music in front.

If you wanted to use a Bluetooth head set you could add music to your 660 with a memory card and hear your music and gps guidance that way.
Thanks for the info. From what I have read you have to plug the gps into the rca plug in front of the radio. so much for using my ipod)

Old 01-31-2015, 04:21 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

You don't need the Interface Kit, but without it, you have three options.

Connect the 660 via Bluetooth to a Bluetooth Headset.

Plug the cord from the 660 into the front of the radio, and leave the radio set to the "Aux" setting so the sound would come thru either the bike's speakers or the Harley Headset depending on how you have the "Speaker Switch" set.

Just use the 660 without sound.

The interface kit allows you to tap into the radios wiring so that you can listen to the Radio/CD/MP3/ and the GPS will automatically "Break In" when ever there are spoken directions. When the directions are over, the radio starts playing again.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:48 PM
harleymanlv
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Tech 660 on 08 SE Ultra Classic

I just finished hooking up a Road Tech 660 on my 08 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic. You should get the Navigation Interface Module. I got mine off of ebay for a lot less than what Harley wanted. It is an older NIM part number 83537-11 but works great. You will also need a motorcycle cradle which you can also get on ebay or from Garmin. You will need a faring mount and an ipod/Navigation interface module wire harness which you get from from Harley. If you buy the the NIM (Part # 76000024A for $169.99) from Harley it comes with the wire harness and brackets which you may or may not need. I did not need the brackets. When following the installation instructions (-J005169 Rev 2011-09-23) it tells you to separate the connector 6A & 6B make sure you connect the new harness to the connector closest to the radio. If you connect to the connector closest to the top of the fairing you will not hear any turn by turn instructions in the radio. I say this as my radio had a short y-connector with 5 wires on it, 3 of which were white. When I connected to the top side I did not hear anything. Also the instructions talk about connector 28B and a 35 pin connector. They are one in the same and plug into the back of the radio. The rest of the instruction are relatively easy to follow. You can still use the aux port on the front of your radio to listen to you ipod/mp3 player.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:26 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

If you want to listen to MP3 files that you have on your GPS, even though you have the NIM, you will still need to connect the GPS to the aux port on the radio. That may not be an issue for you if you only use music files on your Ipod. You can also purchase the Harley Ipod kit (or the Iron Cross kit) to directly interface your Ipod to the HD radio.

Originally Posted by harleymanlv
I just finished hooking up a Road Tech 660 on my 08 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic. You should get the Navigation Interface Module. I got mine off of ebay for a lot less than what Harley wanted. It is an older NIM part number 83537-11 but works great. You will also need a motorcycle cradle which you can also get on ebay or from Garmin. You will need a faring mount and an ipod/Navigation interface module wire harness which you get from from Harley. If you buy the the NIM (Part # 76000024A for $169.99) from Harley it comes with the wire harness and brackets which you may or may not need. I did not need the brackets. When following the installation instructions (-J005169 Rev 2011-09-23) it tells you to separate the connector 6A & 6B make sure you connect the new harness to the connector closest to the radio. If you connect to the connector closest to the top of the fairing you will not hear any turn by turn instructions in the radio. I say this as my radio had a short y-connector with 5 wires on it, 3 of which were white. When I connected to the top side I did not hear anything. Also the instructions talk about connector 28B and a 35 pin connector. They are one in the same and plug into the back of the radio. The rest of the instruction are relatively easy to follow. You can still use the aux port on the front of your radio to listen to you ipod/mp3 player.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:46 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

when you hook the zumo via bluetooth with a sony HU does the radio still play?

Old 02-01-2015, 06:45 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 665 with the mount that came with the Zumo. I had Ironcross put an input on the back of the radio when it was being fixed so I still have my front input unused. ( no wire tucked in on the front for water to get into ) If I was going to use an Ipod I would get the cable put in from Ironcross, but you should just put your music in a memory card and play it off the Zumo until your radio needs an overhaul.