Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

orange wire has no power

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:27 PM
ChefRex
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Orange and white is switched power, there is a single wire, red I believe, gray connector in front of the battery that is direct to the battery.
72172-?, 98 I think but could be wrong on the dash number is the proper terminal.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:41 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
I misunderstood what he was asking. I thought he was simply trying to wire his HU. NHRider if you answered as many questions as I do on a daily basis your advice might get a little faulty as well. For the record I don't give out faulty advice. But then again nobody is perfect. . .
Sorry...I wasn't referring to you in particular.

Quoted:
most people tell me that I can use the orange wire with a white stripe under the seat running back towards the tail lights

Didn't mean to cause any problems.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:55 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
Sorry...I wasn't referring to you in particular.

Quoted:
most people tell me that I can use the orange wire with a white stripe under the seat running back towards the tail lights

Didn't mean to cause any problems.
No worries brother. My bad. . I guess I got up on the wrong side of the bed today. Hope you're having a better day than I'm having!

Old 03-30-2015, 12:06 PM
star2nv
Tourer

every one of you guys has been a big help I think I've been going about this the wrong way coming off my head unit there is a red wire a yellow wire black wire which is a coarse ground and then the blue wire which of course is power antenna or Amp. does this sound like the yellow wire needs to go to the battery because it controls the clock in the memory it have to have constant power the red wire needs to go to a switchable hot lead which will control the on and off if this is the case what I am doing is this exact opposite I had red going to the battery yellow wire going to a switchable power source so when I would turn the key off the switchable power source would shut off and I would lose my memory and my clock does this sound about right to you Guys am I on the right track now

Last edited by star2nv; 03-30-2015 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master

That is correct, on my Kenwood HU the red wire is the switched hot, only on when in run or acc position, and the yellow wire is for the memory function of the radio always hot.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:38 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by star2nv
every one of you guys has been a big help I think I've been going about this the wrong way coming off my head unit there is a red wire a yellow wire black wire which is a coarse ground and then the blue wire which of course is power antenna or Amp. does this sound like the yellow wire needs to go to the battery because it controls the clock in the memory it have to have constant power the red wire needs to go to a switchable hot lead which will control the on and off if this is the case what I am doing is this exact opposite I had red going to the battery yellow wire going to a switchable power source so when I would turn the key off the switchable power source would shut off and I would lose my memory and my clock does this sound about right to you Guys am I on the right track now
That is correct...Yellow to the battery. It should only draw a few milliamps.
Red to Switched Power.

You had them reversed.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:42 PM
star2nv
Tourer

Yes I had them reversed. okay one more question so does the 8 gauge wire hot wire coming off the amp go straight to the battery or does it go to a switched power source Also?

Old 03-30-2015, 06:39 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master

Yes right to the battery but put an inline 30 amp fuse within about 6 inches of the battery and make sure you can access it if need be.