Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:09 PM
Mental
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bang for the buck

Decisions, decisions...Still trying to decide on what to do to upgrade my stereo (for those of you who helped in my earlier post).

In trying to think this through I had not thought about more than two speakers on my Street glide until now. I have not been able to hear a system with added speakers. So IF I was going to add two more speakers what makes the best upgrade, two in the lowers or in the bag lids? Do speakers in either location make a big difference over just the ones in the batwing?

I am looking at Biketronics for the speakers and amp, but obviously I only want to do this one more time, but I will have to upgrade the HU later on.

Anyone know or heard the difference between the 7.1 and the 7.1 pro? Thanks for taking the time to help answer my newbie audio questions.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Mental
Decisions, decisions...Still trying to decide on what to do to upgrade my stereo (for those of you who helped in my earlier post).

In trying to think this through I had not thought about more than two speakers on my Street glide until now. I have not been able to hear a system with added speakers. So IF I was going to add two more speakers what makes the best upgrade, two in the lowers or in the bag lids? Do speakers in either location make a big difference over just the ones in the batwing?

I am looking at Biketronics for the speakers and amp, but obviously I only want to do this one more time, but I will have to upgrade the HU later on.

Anyone know or heard the difference between the 7.1 and the 7.1 pro? Thanks for taking the time to help answer my newbie audio questions.
Ideally you want to add both. But since you only want to add two more speakers the most bang for the buck is going to be in the lowers so all of the sound is in your face rather than behind you. Not a lot of difference between the PRO's and the regular 7.1's but there is a difference. The PRO's are crisper and generate a little more bass than the 7.1's. Is it worth the extra cash? It was to me. I want the best speakers available in my fairing and the PRO's are it hands down. Run the PRO's in the fairing and the titan II's in the lowers with the BT4180 amp. Hard combo to beat.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:47 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Ideally you want to add both. But since you only want to add two more speakers the most bang for the buck is going to be in the lowers so all of the sound is in your face rather than behind you. Not a lot of difference between the PRO's and the regular 7.1's but there is a difference. The PRO's are crisper and generate a little more bass than the 7.1's. Is it worth the extra cash? It was to me. I want the best speakers available in my fairing and the PRO's are it hands down. Run the PRO's in the fairing and the titan II's in the lowers with the BT4180 amp. Hard combo to beat.
AGREED! Put the best speakers you can get in your face. Which in a bagger is in the fairing. Next best set in your lowers, still in front of you. Then fill in the sound stage behind you. Your passengers will be able to hear them but, at speed, you won't. So unless your usual passenger is an audiophile or competition judge they also won't hear the difference.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:29 PM
Mental
Cruiser

OK great thanks.

If I go with biketronics which amp will I need, the 2180 or the 4180 and will I lose FM with either?

Old 03-30-2015, 06:46 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No you will not lose FM with either.
The BT2180 will be good for 2 upper and 2 lower fairing speakers if running 4ohm speakers in parallel, but for the money I would just go with the BT4180 and then you can run 4 or 6 or even 8 speakers, this amp is better if you ever expand in the future.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:47 AM
Mental
Cruiser

I know I need speaker adaptors to put speakers into the lowers, do I need anything else? Is there a better brand or place to purchase the adaptors?

At the rate it keeps snowing here I may get the bike out by July

Old 04-06-2015, 06:06 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I know I need speaker adaptors to put speakers into the lowers, do I need anything else? Is there a better brand or place to purchase the adaptors?

At the rate it keeps snowing here I may get the bike out by July
What do you mean 'adapters' for the lowers? You need speaker pods yes, but no other adapter that I'm aware of. Do you already have lowers with glove boxes?

Old 04-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Mental
Cruiser

Originally Posted by just plain john
What do you mean 'adapters' for the lowers? You need speaker pods yes, but no other adapter that I'm aware of. Do you already have lowers with glove boxes?
Yes I have vented lowers with the glove boxes, I was trying to refer to the "pods" not adaptors, wrong terminology.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:51 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Yes I have vented lowers with the glove boxes, I was trying to refer to the "pods" not adaptors, wrong terminology.
Don't know of any that are any better than the ones from HD.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 04-08-2015, 08:56 AM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think Mutazu and Fairing Factory Pods are Identical to HD Pods I could be wrong?

Quick Reply: Bang for the buck