Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where There Is Smoke.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:07 PM
Chunky Monkey
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Where There Is Smoke.....

You will find my credit card burning...

OK after a long debate and endless hours of reading and rereading I have decided to bite the BIG bullet. I have sitting in my garage NIB RF PBR300x2 and a set of Kappa's 62's. I have held off installing them hoping that HD or someone would find the magic bullet letting the HU come to life with aftermarket stuff.

Here is why my credit card is left smoking.

Focal 165AC (just could not bring myself to tap the KRC's for 500 more)
Arc Moto 600.4
HAT I57-2 for the lids. I did not want to give up bag room for modified 6x9's
Wiring kit all from SoundzCustomz

HD pre painted lids, grills and hardware from New Castle HD (great deal)

My YL loves to ride 2up and we love to listen to music so it was a sound investment. (see what I did there...ha ha) After listing to tgrisko's system and how clear it was I knew that was the sound I was after. I am going to try his flash of Amp 1 & 2 on and 8 speaker on and go from there.

So for 1700 I am hoping for a rocking and finished system. I will let you know how it flashes out and sounds. The RF and Kappa's will go in the Ski boat so no waist there.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Jermell
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
You will find my credit card burning...

OK after a long debate and endless hours of reading and rereading I have decided to bite the BIG bullet. I have sitting in my garage NIB RF PBR300x2 and a set of Kappa's 62's. I have held off installing them hoping that HD or someone would find the magic bullet letting the HU come to life with aftermarket stuff.

Here is why my credit card is left smoking.

Focal 165AC (just could not bring myself to tap the KRC's for 500 more)
Arc Moto 600.4
HAT I57-2 for the lids. I did not want to give up bag room for modified 6x9's
Wiring kit all from SoundzCustomz

HD pre painted lids, grills and hardware from New Castle HD (great deal)

My YL loves to ride 2up and we love to listen to music so it was a sound investment. (see what I did there...ha ha) After listing to tgrisko's system and how clear it was I knew that was the sound I was after. I am going to try his flash of Amp 1 & 2 on and 8 speaker on and go from there.

So for 1700 I am hoping for a rocking and finished system. I will let you know how it flashes out and sounds. The RF and Kappa's will go in the Ski boat so no waist there.

How did you wire your kappas to amp

Old 05-11-2015, 01:21 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

man i had to read the whole post just to figure out you were talking about a stereo system....lol

"NIB RF PBR300x2 and a set of Kappa's 62's"
"Kappa's 62's"
"Focal 165AC (just could not bring myself to tap the KRC's for 500 more)
Arc Moto 600.
HAT I57-2"
it was only after this that i realized what you were talking about " for the lids"
i feel so stupid....

Old 05-11-2015, 11:20 PM
Chunky Monkey
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jermell
How did you wire your kappas to amp
I never installed the Rockford Fosgate amp or the kappas. They are sitting still new in the box I think I'm just going to sell those. I decided to go with the soundz system and got halfway through the install and realize they forgot a critical wiring harness that tied the amp to the head unit so install is on hold.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 PM
Chunky Monkey
Tourer

Originally Posted by screamn_eagle
man i had to read the whole post just to figure out you were talking about a stereo system....lol

"NIB RF PBR300x2 and a set of Kappa's 62's"
"Kappa's 62's"
"Focal 165AC (just could not bring myself to tap the KRC's for 500 more)
Arc Moto 600.
HAT I57-2"
it was only after this that i realized what you were talking about " for the lids"
i feel so stupid....
It can get confusing or overwhelming very fast.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:27 PM
Chunky Monkey
Tourer

So quick question to anyone passing over this. I installed the FoCal speakers upfront into the pods and put it back together so I could ride last weekend. They are 4 ohm and the deck is looking for two ohm is that going to be a problem for either the speakers or the head unit until my wiring harness comes for the amp?

Old 05-12-2015, 06:55 AM
Jermell
Novice
Default wiring

wrong post

Last edited by Jermell; 05-12-2015 at 06:57 AM. Reason: wrong post
Old 05-17-2015, 01:56 AM
Chunky Monkey
Tourer

Ok so got my equipment in. Focal 165ac front XDi 600.4 amp H.A.T. I57-2 rears, and new lids for them. I never updated my radio so I think it is 1.17.4 or close I looked a long time ago.

I have a SGS and as scum mentioned I do believe the bin's and what works and doesn't is model specific. Got it all hooked up and it sounds great. I used to have to run the volume at full or two bars below to have it loud enough at highway speeds. With this 2 to 4 bars is fine. I have excelent bass with full control and I run it about two bars below center. The AVC, try and bass function all work perfect.

We were at a cruise today, and we were parked along the curb. I turned the radio on with Pandora and had it at about 2 to 3 bars and people walking by stopped because it sounded so good. A number of them made comments at the quality of the audio. So I'm really wondering if I should do a flash and update the head unit. I did have to use a tripwire to trigger the amp as the speaker wires would not kick it on.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Ok so got my equipment in. Focal 165ac front XDi 600.4 amp H.A.T. I57-2 rears, and new lids for them. I never updated my radio so I think it is 1.17.4 or close I looked a long time ago.

I have a SGS and as scum mentioned I do believe the bin's and what works and doesn't is model specific. Got it all hooked up and it sounds great. I used to have to run the volume at full or two bars below to have it loud enough at highway speeds. With this 2 to 4 bars is fine. I have excelent bass with full control and I run it about two bars below center. The AVC, try and bass function all work perfect.

We were at a cruise today, and we were parked along the curb. I turned the radio on with Pandora and had it at about 2 to 3 bars and people walking by stopped because it sounded so good. A number of them made comments at the quality of the audio. So I'm really wondering if I should do a flash and update the head unit. I did have to use a tripwire to trigger the amp as the speaker wires would not kick it on.
Man! If it ain't broke don't fix it!