Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 cvo road glide upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Rickpay1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 cvo road glide upgrade

I am seeking to upgrade the speakers and amps on the bike. Including both amps as well as speakers in fairing as well as the saddlebag speakers. Want the ability to add lowers with speakers as well...I have read all I can but seeking advice on those who have done this...
Thanks

Old 05-21-2015, 01:09 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

what equipment do you have currently installed on the bike?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:15 PM
Rickpay1
Cruiser
Default stock sound system on 13 cvo road glide

Stock cvo with stock radio speakers in fairing and saddlebag lids...has 2 stock amps one in fairing one in saddlebag.. Just want cleaner and louder lol...

Old 05-22-2015, 01:08 AM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

The next answer everyone will need is what is your budget?

Old 05-22-2015, 06:27 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rickpay1
Stock cvo with stock radio speakers in fairing and saddlebag lids...has 2 stock amps one in fairing one in saddlebag.. Just want cleaner and louder lol...
little confused why you only have 4 speakers and have 2 amps but as stated above, budget is key....

I'm not sure what your definition of loud is. If it's simply better than what you have, I would start by replacing the speakers. you might find this does the trick for you.

Kappa 62.11i in the fairing and kappa 682.11cf in the lids.

That sets the foundation for further upgrades (amps) later if you decide.

Course if you want to do it once and be done with it;

replace fairing with BT7PR1RG 7.1"
replace lid speakers with BT479 6x9"
replace both amps with 1 BT4180 amp

Old 05-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
little confused why you only have 4 speakers and have 2 amps
My guess would be Boom components. Two speakers is probably all each amp can handle, lol.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:35 AM
Rickpay1
Cruiser
Default that is correct on boom audio

I want to be able to put lowers on with speakers and I have a matching removable tour pak that I want to add speaker pods and speakers on so want amps that will handle 4 speakers each and be able to drive the sound so it is clear at 75 without being distorted. Budget not over the moon.. And appreciate all the help

Old 05-22-2015, 09:53 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

always best to fully disclose what you have and what you're doing (or wanting to do) up front so we're not wasting each other's time.

so my full understanding now is you currently have;
2 boom speakers in fairing driven by 1 boom amp
2 boom speakers in lids driven by another boom amp
stock head unit

here's my suggestion if the above is true

BT 7.1" in the fairing
BT 6.5" in lowers
BT 6x9 in lids
Kicker CS654 in rear pods (you can use stock grills with these)
BT4180 amp

wire the fairing and lower speakers in parallel and connect to front channels of the BT4180
wire the rear pod and lid speakers in parallel and connect to rear channels of BT4180

or an ever easier thing to do with the pods and is what I would do if I was taking a tourpak off and on, is simply leave them (pod speakers) connected directly to the head unit this way the impedance at your rear amp never changes with the removal of the tourpak

Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 PM
Rickpay1
Cruiser
Default thanks for all the great advice as usual

I appreciate the help. I have been given a lot to think about for sure. The system is stock for the cvo road glide. The amps ate okay that came with the bike. Fairing amp runs fairing speakers but is 200 watts so if I add lowers with speakers worried it would drag the amp down. The rear amp in left saddlebag runs the saddlebag speakers...it is rated for 180 watts I believe..the bike did not come with a tour pak..got one now but has no speaker pods have to add those and speakers again concerned by doing that amp will not keep up. Plus while stock it sounds good just want a good clear crisp sound at cruising speed.. Ok speakers I can figure out now...but do I want one amp for all or 2. I was thinking a 500 watt to run front and lowers and a 500 watt remounted in saddlebag to run back of bike...since all the wiring for rear is already there?

Old 05-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickpay1
I appreciate the help. I have been given a lot to think about for sure. The system is stock for the cvo road glide. The amps ate okay that came with the bike. Fairing amp runs fairing speakers but is 200 watts so if I add lowers with speakers worried it would drag the amp down. The rear amp in left saddlebag runs the saddlebag speakers...it is rated for 180 watts I believe..the bike did not come with a tour pak..got one now but has no speaker pods have to add those and speakers again concerned by doing that amp will not keep up. Plus while stock it sounds good just want a good clear crisp sound at cruising speed.. Ok speakers I can figure out now...but do I want one amp for all or 2. I was thinking a 500 watt to run front and lowers and a 500 watt remounted in saddlebag to run back of bike...since all the wiring for rear is already there?
You're overthinking it my man.... Go with post 8 - Done. Trust me.

Last edited by Gannicus; 05-25-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 cvo road glide upgrade