Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom II sattlebag amp crossover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Mr_King
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Boom II saddlebag amp crossover?

Here is a Jeopardy question.

What is the active crossover frequencies of the saddlebag amp part#76000277A

Last edited by Mr_King; 05-29-2015 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-30-2015, 04:52 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_King
Here is a Jeopardy question.

What is the active crossover frequencies of the saddlebag amp part#76000277A

Lol. . . It's a trick question without knowing the rest of your set up. Not even the smartest jeopardy player is going to answer that question correctly. 80hz is a good place to start.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Mr_King
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Lol. . . It's a trick question without knowing the rest of your set up. Not even the smartest jeopardy player is going to answer that question correctly. 80hz is a good place to start.

Not a trick question.

My findings are the Boom II 5x7 is a bi-amp speaker where the woofer has direct terminals (no crossover). the mid & tweeter terminal have a built in crossover but only on the tweeter (about 11khz), the mid has no crossover at all. Crazy!

The saddle bag amp has 2 outputs, per speaker, and is advertised to power the Boom II speakers.

The speakers advertises an electronic crossover (caps and coils) but does not state the frequency. However, the same page says the speakers are actively crossed over at 3 kHz. So unless I am missing the hidden batteries and built in amplifier within the speaker itself, the amp must be doing the crossover. http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ag-speaker-kit

I have tried 5 different 5x7's and trying a few crossover points these are the best sounding. I would love to use them but without knowing the specific crossover points and slopes will end sounding muddy.

The dealer must be programming the amp to specific speaker crossover points being used on the bike.

My question is still up in the air. What crossover points are built in or programmed on the amp

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_King
Not a trick question.

My findings are the Boom II 5x7 is a bi-amp speaker where the woofer has direct terminals (no crossover). the mid & tweeter terminal have a built in crossover but only on the tweeter (about 11khz), the mid has no crossover at all. Crazy!

The saddle bag amp has 2 outputs, per speaker, and is advertised to power the Boom II speakers.

The speakers advertises an electronic crossover (caps and coils) but does not state the frequency. However, the same page says the speakers are actively crossed over at 3 kHz. So unless I am missing the hidden batteries and built in amplifier within the speaker itself, the amp must be doing the crossover. http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ag-speaker-kit

I have tried 5 different 5x7's and trying a few crossover points these are the best sounding. I would love to use them but without knowing the specific crossover points and slopes will end sounding muddy.

The dealer must be programming the amp to specific speaker crossover points being used on the bike.

My question is still up in the air. What crossover points are built in or programmed on the amp

Thanks.
Just giving you hell man....Honestly, Who knows? Harley has never been transparent with any specs. It's like pulling teeth trying to get info from Harley Davidson in regard to specs. And when they do disclose info it's normally incorrect. I can't answer your question brother. Too much time and energy would be spent researching a system that's just simply not worth it IMO.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:20 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Curious what are you trying to do?

Match up the same speakers with a different amp/crossover and use the same factory settings?

Old 05-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Mr_King
Cruiser

Originally Posted by haze324
Curious what are you trying to do?

Match up the same speakers with a different amp/crossover and use the same factory settings?

Yup..
Have an Arc Moto 600.4 driving 6.5" Focals in the front. Bought the speaker lids with the Boom I speakers over the winter, then they came out with the Boom II.

Tried: HAT I57-2, Focal 5x7 (no K2 available), JL C5-570 and the Boom II 5x7

The Boom II has been a treat trying to figure out. I originally connected in series to get 4 ohms but when the volume was up, it distorted. Went back, took measurements and drew a schematic then isolated the problem. No crossover in the mid, WFT.

As I write this I am buying the components to build a 12db crossover. hopefully it will sound good. I know I am soon going to blow the Boom 1 I have in there now.

If all else fails I will buy the 5.25 component Focals K2's and build a 5x7 to 5.25 adapter and move on, but I really don't want to cut the basket in the lids unless I have to.

Thanks.