Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the Heck is my Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:08 PM
margin5
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What the Heck is my Problem?

I'm at my wits end with my new sound system. I replaced my SoundStream PN4.520 this spring with a BT4180. Main reason was FM reception, but the sound quit working on my ride from the dealer to home this spring so that even gave me more reason to replace the SS. Well I am now on my 2nd BT4180 and still having problems with sound. Both BT4180's worked fine in the garage, but later the sound completely stopped. I spent time on the phone with Robin at Biketronics with the 1st amp checking everything out with a multimeter. Finally, we decided it needed to be sent in. BT sent me a new one and all was good. I even replaced my 4 1/2 year old battery thinking this could be the problem. All worked fine until this evening. Started bike up tonight for a short ride and believe it or not - no sound. Man I can not figure this out. I can even hear the amp fan running but still nothing. Running Polk MM651's (2 front, 2 rear) and stock radio. Now, I really don't believe that the amps are the problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thx.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:32 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by margin5
I'm at my wits end with my new sound system. I replaced my SoundStream PN4.520 this spring with a BT4180. Main reason was FM reception, but the sound quit working on my ride from the dealer to home this spring so that even gave me more reason to replace the SS. Well I am now on my 2nd BT4180 and still having problems with sound. Both BT4180's worked fine in the garage, but later the sound completely stopped. I spent time on the phone with Robin at Biketronics with the 1st amp checking everything out with a multimeter. Finally, we decided it needed to be sent in. BT sent me a new one and all was good. I even replaced my 4 1/2 year old battery thinking this could be the problem. All worked fine until this evening. Started bike up tonight for a short ride and believe it or not - no sound. Man I can not figure this out. I can even hear the amp fan running but still nothing. Running Polk MM651's (2 front, 2 rear) and stock radio. Now, I really don't believe that the amps are the problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thx.
Hmmm Three different amps and still having sound problems? I'd be more inclined to believe the HU has went to hell in a handbasket. Your bike is a 2011 and this is 2015 it's about that time. . .lol I'd start with the stock HU. They can be really tricky sometimes.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:49 PM
margin5
Cruiser

I thought of that but when I bypass the amp with my old stock speakers all works fine. I am also getting good sound from the headphones that came with the bike. Seems to me the HK unit and BT4180 don't want to play good together. I have a call into BT to see what else I can do. I'm almost to the point of buying an aftermarket radio.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:50 PM
margin5
Cruiser

just to close this thread. found out the fuse holder at the battery was shorted at one time or another. could see melted plastic. amp was only getting a full 12 volts once in a while. what a hassle but glad its over.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by margin5
just to close this thread. found out the fuse holder at the battery was shorted at one time or another. could see melted plastic. amp was only getting a full 12 volts once in a while. what a hassle but glad its over.
Hmmm The old tricky fuse holder huh! Good follow up margin. Your experience will help the next guy troubleshoot. Including myself. I would not have guessed a fuse with three different amps. usually when a fuse blows it's done until it's replaced. In other words when biketronics sent you the replacement amp you should of had the same issue.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:03 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Intermittent problems,, not fun to troubleshoot! Gives us fits on the Strike Eagle! Glad you got it fixed!

Old 08-10-2015, 07:52 AM
margin5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Hmmm The old tricky fuse holder huh! Good follow up margin. Your experience will help the next guy troubleshoot. Including myself. I would not have guessed a fuse with three different amps. usually when a fuse blows it's done until it's replaced. In other words when biketronics sent you the replacement amp you should of had the same issue.
Yep, I'm guessing that both BT amps were good. Robin at BT was very good to work with and helped me greatly to diagnose the problem. Great company.