Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with newly installed system

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:41 AM
nuljas23
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Issues with newly installed system

Had a buddy install all my sound system components this week while I was at the beach. He's a great mechanic but doesn't know a ton about setting sound systems up so he didn't really mess with any of the settings. Everything installed consists of

Head unit-Sony MEX-M70BT
Speakers-infinity kappa 62.11i
Amp-PBR 300x2 with their 10g install kit
Speaker adapters-arc 6.5" adapter rings
Mount-metra 99-9600
Handlebar module-metra axxess awsc-1

All connections are soldered and the power/ground are both run back to the battery. He extended the ground with a piece of 10g he had. My issues are every time I plug my iPod (much older version that is only an iPod) into either USB port the iPod will turn on for a second then shut off and will not play. Plays fine through the auxiliary port and my buddies Sony MP3 player plugs right into either USB and works just fine. Is there a setting or something that needs messed with for it to allow my iPod to play through the USB?

My 2nd and biggest issue is turning the volume up past 18 the music starts to cut out, and at 18 you can't even hear it while riding. If you go much higher then 18 it cuts out so bad that there's more dead space then noise and the noise that is there is so short you can't even tell its music. I haven't taken the outer fairing off yet to take a look myself. Is there anytning specific I should look for?

Old 07-05-2015, 11:09 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I suspect usb to iPod is compatible issue. Here's what your HU says it supports. Something definitely not right with volume. Was it connected via rca or hi inputs. The later seems to produce better results with that amp.

Inputs and Outputs
Digital Audio Input(s) : Ability to use all forms of USB devices may vary as not all devices are compatible. This unit is compliant with MSC (Mass Storage Class) and MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) type USB devices compliant with the USB standard. This unit cannot recognize USB devices via a USB hub.
This unit can be connected to the following iPods. Update your iPod to the latest software before you use it.
iPod Nano 1st - 7th generation
iPod Touch 1st - 5th generation
iPod Classic
iPod with video
iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5

Old 07-05-2015, 11:32 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Take the fairing off and see what the amp settings are yet..theres a sticky up top by nutz that tells you how to set gains by ear

Old 07-05-2015, 12:00 PM
nuljas23
Cruiser

I don't know what rca or hi inputs means. Could the amp needing adjusted cause my volume issue?

Old 07-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

Yep, if the gains on the amp are too high that will make it cut out. Like was mentioned, read the sticky from nutz. IIRC, my setting with stock HU was about 5,5 with that amp.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Yep, if the gains on the amp are too high that will make it cut out. Like was mentioned, read the sticky from nutz. IIRC, my setting with stock HU was about 5,5 with that amp.
For sure. That HU has a 5v preout and the gains don't have to be set very high. Pull the fairing and check the gains. If the gains are 4 or 5 check your battery. That HU will cut out if the voltage from the battery is too low.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:52 PM
nuljas23
Cruiser

Messed with the gains and finally ended up unplugging the amp and everything works fine without it. Every time the sound cuts out the red light on the side of the amp flashes. Since it works fine with the amp unplugged I assume the amp is bad?

Old 07-05-2015, 04:19 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

The amp is going into protect mode. Could be a number of things....bad ground, speaker wires have a short, or gains too high. This is from the manual:

"Red if a short circuit/low impedance is detected at the speaker connections or the amplifier’s internal components become too hot engaging the protection.The amplifier will shut down to cool if this occurs."

Old 07-05-2015, 05:12 PM
nuljas23
Cruiser

It does it without the bike being run so it's not a heat issue. All the wiring looks good I checked all the connections. I get 12.65 volts at the plug where it plugs into the amp with the bike off so wouldn't that mean the ground and power from the battery are good? Like I said everything sounds good with the amp unplugged, nice and clear even turned the whole way up

Old 07-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by nuljas23
It does it without the bike being run so it's not a heat issue. All the wiring looks good I checked all the connections. I get 12.65 volts at the plug where it plugs into the amp with the bike off so wouldn't that mean the ground and power from the battery are good? Like I said everything sounds good with the amp unplugged, nice and clear even turned the whole way up
Do you have RCA's going to the HU from the amp? Or is the amp hooked up via speaker wires (high level input) secondly is the amp turning on automatically or do you have it connected to a switched power source?

Quick Reply: Issues with newly installed system