Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after amp install

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:01 PM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems after amp install

I have a question for you pros out there. I had my HK head unit lose its right side channel after Installing a used Rockford Fosgate pbr300 x2 amp which looked mint and bought it here in the classifieds. Sent the radio to iron cross for repair and came back and happened again. First time my Indy thought he might of grounded something now believes my amp is bad. I bought brand new kappas and he installed the radio first and had no issuies. My question can this happen and what amp should I get if I have to buy a new one. Need help asap. Thanks

Last edited by bobgv; 10-14-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:16 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

switch the inputs into the amp from your radio. If the right side goes out again then it could be there right channel on your amp. Why it's cutting out is another story. What are your gains set at? On the stock radio it should be around 5 1/2 ish. Also follow your speaker wire and make sure the right side isn't frayed anywhere. Also where is your amp grounded to.

Lots of possibilities, but if the right side comes back on,....it may be something fixable/simple.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:57 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by bobgv
I have a question for you pros out there. I had my HK head unit lose its right side channel after Installing a used Rockford Fosgate pbr300 x2 amp which looked mint and bought it here in the classifieds. Sent the radio to iron cross for repair and came back and happened again. First time my Indy thought he might of grounded something now believes my amp is bad. I bought brand new kappas and he installed the radio first and had no issuies. My question can this happen and what amp should I get if I have to buy a new one. Need help asap. Thanks
Was all well when the radio came back the first time? if so how long before the right channel stopped working after you got back the repaired radio? Immediately or did it take awhile?

Old 10-15-2015, 05:39 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Was all well when the radio came back the first time? if so how long before the right channel stopped working after you got back the repaired radio? Immediately or did it take awhile?
I was told it was installed without the amp first and worked fine, then all was wired and shrink wrapped with the amp and right side channel on the radio went out. Disconnected the amp and reconnected radio and right side was still out. Can a bad amp cause this? Now I have to ship my radio back to iron cross for repairs again and buy a new amp if this is the problem. Don't know which way to go.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

I'd send the radio back for Iron Cross to check out. Doesn't sound like the amp. If they have already performed service on your radio they are really good about checking it out for you again if you think you have an issue. They have great customer service there and really fast turn around times. I d just send it back to them to make sure the HU is ok. Those HK units can be tricky sometimes.