Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:29 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Upgrade!

Well, I had to break down & upgrade my HK, it had continually gotten worse over time where I would lose all audio. Started fairly intermittent, but eventually it would only work about 20% of the time. Really liked it while it worked combined with the RF 300x2 & kappas.

So for the small sum of $23,000, I got me a new radio & they threw in the road glide special for free! So long to my old friend, my 2011 SG.

So now a whole new set of problems...this new radio while very cool & easily much louder in stock form than my SG's radio, is not nearly loud or clear enough!

So what's the next step? I've been reading up on magic box, flash vs no flash & the consensus seems to be that if you flash now for 4 speakers no amp that it works, but you lose AVC or stick with the magic box & keep AVC, or some haven't needed to flash at all. Is it a matter of experimenting once the new amp & speakers are installed?

Secondly, what's the best move for a RG? Will kappas work in the RG fairing? What about arc audio moto stuff? Seems to get high praise from Gann, who I trust, he knows his shat! Or, will I be satisfied with another RF & maybe some kickers?

It seems that with the RG, much like the Rushmore SG's there are speaker boxes in the fairing which actually produce a decent amount of bass, even with the craptastic stock speakers & terribly underpowered head unit.

Only thing I see as being a bit more problematic is that the RG speakers look to be more prone to water due to their positioning. Should this be a consideration when picking speakers?

Old 10-23-2015, 05:59 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats on the Shark and congrats on the new upgrades to the new upgrades. Isn't it great. Sticking with my ol' paid for glide. More I read, more I'm keeping her. Not saying it would be nice, but this bike is running and tunes are screaming. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:10 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Things are coming along slowly but surely if I was you I would do nothing tell end of winter at the earliest .
Reason is BT magic box coming out soon , bt radio kit with there version of emits reader coming soon, Harley could actually perhaps do the right thing and create easy flash so none of the above is needed one vender or other could also come up with flash.

Trying to say save some headache on tunes for now go for head pipe to get ride of cat get tuner slip-ons, air cleaner bars seat all the other crap that is proven, most important get some miles in before you are shut down for the winter.
As always just my 2cents worth.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:53 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
Things are coming along slowly but surely if I was you I would do nothing tell end of winter at the earliest .
Reason is BT magic box coming out soon , bt radio kit with there version of emits reader coming soon, Harley could actually perhaps do the right thing and create easy flash so none of the above is needed one vender or other could also come up with flash.

Trying to say save some headache on tunes for now go for head pipe to get ride of cat get tuner slip-ons, air cleaner bars seat all the other crap that is proven, most important get some miles in before you are shut down for the winter.
As always just my 2cents worth.
Yeah, the plan is to wait until late winter for all of the upgrades anyway, don't have too much riding season left up here. I'm really trying to get her to at least the 1000 mi. service mark, we'll see......I'm a little over halfway there, just don't have as much protection from the cold with the worthless thumbnail of a windshield they throw on there from the factory, so not too excited to ride everyday, plus now I have to leave in the dark for work which means deer.....

I'll be waiting for the BT magic box, maybe just bit the bullet & get their entire system to make it simple. Definitely getting a new dragos dragula 2 system (again), tuner, apes, maybe some other knick-knacks...