Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest mistake ya ever made, audio related that is?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 04:46 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

My biggest mistake.. Starting to upgrade and never wanting to stop, luckily my wallet keeps me in check

Old 12-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

I could keep this thread going for months myself.

1) ,,,,,,,,,no doubt about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the biggest mistake,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,drinking the koolaid,,,,,,,,,,,but I'm much better educated now

2) First amp I installed was PBR 300x2. Had the wires all nice and tidy and looking semi-professional at least. Turned the radio on and.......a great big nothing. The wires themselves were good, but I had switched the connections on the goes in/goes out of the amp. I stood there staring at it for a solid 10 minutes before I figured it out. A few choice cuss words and a beer later it was all straightened out and worked fine.

3) Decided to install a USB charger in my left side glovebox when I did the first stereo upgrade. I didn't really have to take the glovebox off to do it, but it made life easier and I had the fairing off anyway so figured what the heck. Was pretty pumped up after I got the amp all adjusted so I slapped the fairing back on to go for a ride. I'm sure I looked pretty stupid going down the road with only one glovebox but didn't care, at least I had tunes. Came back home and pulled the fairing off for the millionth time to put the glovebox back on and good to go.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Biggest mistake ya ever made, audio related that is?!!?

#1 My biggest mistake was finding this forum( joking). I was on HD FORUM researching tuners for my sled and stumbled over here to clear my head then the next thing I knew my project went from tuning the engine to tuning/upgrading the stereo. Which isn't a bad thing other than this addiction is going to empty my pockets worse than someone with a drug habit.But I am happy with my upgrades for now.Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and info.
#2 Having limited info on the Rushmore 6.5gt head unit ,adding an amp to it and leaving the AVC on (BOZO NO-NO)and blowing all 4 of my brand new speakers.

Last edited by Babyboy; 12-22-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:31 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

a got a couple (you determine which one is real and not real)

1. put my aftermarket HU upside down in my fairing
2. grabbed a 6.5 speaker to put in my HT 6x9 lids and wondering why it did not fit (special situation - booz involved)
3. decided to grab my home made power resistor bank glued to a piece of metal U bar I used when doing the bench testing of multiple amps with my hand to move it aside and got blisters on my fingers

Merry Christmas you all and a Happy, musical New Year

Old 12-22-2015, 12:02 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Black-FLHTC
Hmmm. Can the biggest mistake also be the best thing? Biggest mistake was joining THIS forum. DAMN its expensive here! Lol. But its also been the best thing. Saved me from many mistakes.
Read my mind

Old 12-22-2015, 02:27 PM
tuleyne
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fiddling with the FM tuner on my '12 SG and accidentally stopping on a station that was playing Justin Bieber.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:38 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Running 2 sets of 2 ohm speakers in parallel. It's not good for your amp, but it takes a while before it becomes apparent. Like in the middle of a road trip to The Three Sisters.

Last edited by just plain john; 12-23-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyboy
#1 My biggest mistake was finding this forum( joking). I was on HD FORUM researching tuners for my sled and stumbled over here to clear my head then the next thing I knew my project went from tuning the engine to tuning/upgrading the stereo. Which isn't a bad thing other than this addiction is going to empty my pockets worse than someone with a drug habit.But I am happy with my upgrades for now.Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and info.
#2 Having limited info on the Rushmore 6.5gt head unit ,adding an amp to it and leaving the AVC on (BOZO NO-NO)and blowing all 4 of my brand new speakers.
Did the exact same thing, SMH!

Old 12-29-2015, 02:18 PM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

My biggest mistake was worrying about audio in the first place So I bought a new 2015 Road Glide after five years on my Super Glide Custom. Having jams was exciting, but the stock setup at speed was underwhelming. Started hanging out here and over at RG.org stalking the audio threads...........

1. Bought a set of inexpensive JBL GTO638 speakers. A little improvement but not much. Decided I needed an AMP. Added CV B2 and was pretty happy until I melted the tweeters trying to set my AMP gain.

2. Bought my first set of Infinity Kappa 62.11I and swapped for the blown GTO638s.

3. Figured I didn't want the terminal set screws on the Kappas working loose so I put a little dab of Loctite blue on them. Everything was great until I wanted to mess around with AMP settings again. Went to pull the wires from the Kappas and one of the set screws on the negative terminal had taken a permanent "set". Broke the terminal trying to get the dang screw loose.

4. Bought another set of Kappas

5. Just bought the BT 355 Line Out Converter to replace the cheap Metra LOC

So in a little under six months I've spent $503 give or take on an "inexpensive" cost effective upgrade........

Having just written all of this out I find myself crying

Old 12-29-2015, 03:13 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

coming to these forums... I have NEVER fell into anything this much so fast! Upgraded from stock and it lasted 2 days before I ordered more stuff! The only thing left from the first upgrade will be the power wire, fuse and ground. EVERYTHING else is being upgraded, again!

Quick Reply: Biggest mistake ya ever made, audio related that is?!!?