Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHTP radio system options

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 05:20 PM
Copperbike
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLHTP radio system options

I would like to hear from some people that have installed an aftermarket system on a police FLH. I will be picking up my new 2015 tomorrow and one of the installs I would like to do is put a system in place. I'm not interested in adding everything so I can use stock head unit, that is too labor intensive and costly. I looked at biketronics site, they seem to have a lock on aftermarket systems. I would just like some more options so I can compare and choose what is best for me.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:37 AM
Copperbike
Novice

I just read my post and it was a little confusing to me so I'm going to elaborate. I am going to pick up my new FLHTP today, it is a leftover 2015 model. As most of you probably know these are radio delete bikes so police agencies can outfit with their equipment. I'm not interested in finding a stock HD head unit and adding new hand control switches to have a factory like system, that seems like to much work and expense. That leaves me looking at creating an aftermarket system that I will have to manually adjust volume, radio stations, aux input, etc.

I have looked at biketronics because that is what everybody has told me to get, they have a system for these bikes with different options. You can choose from 3 different head units, you can upgrade speakers, and you can add an amp. The base system they offer is a head unit and fairing speakers with install kit. I don't know if I need an amp and upgraded speakers. My initial thought is to go ahead and get those but I don't want to spend the money if the base system will suffice. I'm not looking to be the loudest bike out there, I just want to listen to my radio or I phone music while riding around.

I do have plenty of time to make an educated decision because my first upgrade will be a 2 up seat with passenger backrest because my 2 boys are going to want to go riding.

Thanks all

Old 12-26-2015, 06:18 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,345 Likes on 3,279 Posts

Biketronics, is one spoken about a lot but there are many others, search here age Google, there are a lot of people that gave done it.
So what if you can find a nice take off system from a stock bike? You might get a hell of a deal.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 12-26-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:04 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Copperbike
Congrats on the new scoot.
I have looked at biketronics because that is what everybody has told me to get, they have a system for these bikes with different options. You can choose from 3 different head units, you can upgrade speakers, and you can add an amp. The base system they offer is a head unit and fairing speakers with install kit. I don't know if I need an amp and upgraded speakers. My initial thought is to go ahead and get those but I don't want to spend the money if the base system will suffice. I'm not looking to be the loudest bike out there, I just want to listen to my radio or I phone music while riding around.
The BT 7.1 speakers are quality and IMO the way to go. One big reason is these speakers come with brackets that replace the stock (POS) plastic speaker pods.

To hear your tunes at speed an amp is a must. The BT2180 amp is a very powerful, clean small amp that works very well with there speakers and many others. You will also retain FM reception. Most class D amps do not, if this is important to you. The BT amp automatically sets the gains on the fly so there is no tuning necessary. Using an aftermarket HU there will some degree of tuning available there. Some people do not like the auto gain feature for the reason that they like to be able to tune there amp and set gains manually. There are also other amps that will work just fine, although they will not have a lifetime warranty.

So the best advise is to read through the forum and choose the components you are interested in and post them here before you make a purchase. This will give you the best chance of choosing a system that you will be happy with for a long time.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Copperbike
Novice

Thanks I'll keep researching. I'm going to try to put pictures of it. Just got home about hour ago with it.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:15 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

You got the kanvas cuz.....now paint it like you want. Take your time do it right.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Congrats on the new scoot, she's a beauty.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Copperbike
Novice

Thanks. It sounds really nice with the exhaust they put on. Not too loud but real deep sound.
Originally Posted by Bertk
Congrats on the new scoot, she's a beauty.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Jg4890
3rd Gear

I just picked up a 2014 FLHTP. I am going to attempt to install a Harley Infotainment Boom Box 4.3. I bought one on ebay for $200.00. I also bought left hand controls switches which control the volume. The harness on the FLHTP will not work, but I am going to try and find an installer or even pay My local Harley dealer to install it..

Old 01-03-2016, 06:21 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

The nice thing about getting a non Harley head unit is you have much better speaker choices. Nice thing about the Harley unit is you can get the communication that works with your switches.

Quick Reply: FLHTP radio system options