Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hertz, Diamond Audio , Pioneer install.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:39 AM
dewayne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hertz, Diamond Audio , Pioneer install.....

First off believe me when I say I've searched to no end but I just don't know what I'm looking at lol..... my setup is now complete and ready for install I'd like to do it right and clean from the beginning!

Metra 99-9700
Kenwood excelon kdc 599
(4) 6.5's Hertz Ecx 165.5
(4)6x9 pioneer ts d6902r
Diamond Micro 4v2 for the 6.5's
Hertz HDP4 for the 6x9's

My issue is the local shops want a ton of cash to do the install but after reading on this forum it seems relatively straight forward ("seems")I've searched YouTube to no avail I'd like to know how to do the quick disconnects for the saddlebags and how to mount the amp in the bag any help is appreciated trust me oh and I've read the "Moron"sticky several times and I'm still lost!
The bike is an 2014 Street glide! My main concerns are how to build the quick disconnects and how to run the wires and how many holes to drill in the bags
Thanks again for any assistance

Old 02-11-2016, 06:23 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

I have the same sled other than HU, infotainment, thus this audio cave man can talk u thru the process and I will try and get some pics or video.
I am installing an additional amp and bag speaks this next week so shoot me a PM on Sunday to remind me. I will be adding quick disconnects to the bags as well because right now I am running bag speaks in parallel so using previous disconnects.
It really is an easy process, just requires patience so enjoy the ride!!!

T.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:02 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

D,

So I would not pair the HDP4 with those Pioneers. I have/had both at some point. The HDP4 is a high end "sound quality" amp. The Pioneers are budget friendly bass heavy amps. They don't get as loud as other similarly priced speakers nor do they produce great sound quality. What they are good at is producing bass. You may be better off with one inside the bag and something like a Kicker KSC in the lids. The Pioneers simply will not produce the sound quality the HDP4 pumps out. That amp was designed to get paired with high-end Hertz speakers. A better amp to use is the Soundstream TN4.900. Both amp are roughly the same size with very similar output specs. The TN4 however is a VERY warm sounding amp and really gives great low end sound. Output is close with the HDP4 having a slight volume advantage. The Hertz retails at 599.00 the TN4.900 at 180.00 and hits hard man.

Mounting of the amp I've seen two ways, either create/get a mounting plate to hang off the latch screws or bolted to the side of the bag with some spacers. Hole to run the cables gets drilled out under/near the front mounting pins of the bags. For the 6X9 holes I prefer bigger holes vs. lots of small holes. By big I mean 3/8 and up.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by dewayne
My main concerns are how to build the quick disconnects and how to run the wires and how many holes to drill in the bags
Thanks again for any assistance
dewayne -

Use a 3/4 in Hole Saw to drill 1 hole in each bag as illustrated in pic #3. You can see the location at the top of my bags (pic#2) just above the locking pins.

I use simple 16 ga quick connects as illustrated in pic #1. They work great!

Old 02-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Haze is correct on the HDP4 with the pioneers. Won't sound good with that amp. The HDP4 is a high end amp to be used with high end speakers. Not what you want to hear but we've been there done that. Since you already have em you can check it out for yourself and see what you think but what HAZE and I are trying to do is save you the headache.

You would be much better off with some Infinity 693.11i's or the Hertz 690's. The front stage will sound good with the diamond amp and the hertz speakers. If you want bass and clarity the Moto 692's in the bags are the ticket.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Dewayne, some guys use Deutsch connectors (but you need their tool) I used the same connectors as Gan (you can find them on Amazon). Menard has a section with wire, butt connectors and rubber gourmets ect. in different sizes (use to put around the hole you drill for the wire) I used size just big enough to pull the wire through 3/8 maybe?. I also used HD velcro cut into squares inside the bag to hold the wires. If possible go to a Harley dealer and see how they run there wires and where they drilled their holes on a bike with speakers in the bag. Good luck and stay patient !

Old 02-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
dewayne -

Use a 3/4 in Hole Saw to drill 1 hole in each bag as illustrated in pic #3. You can see the location at the top of my bags (pic#2) just above the locking pins.

I use simple 16 ga quick connects as illustrated in pic #1. They work great!

GANN

Those are not saddle bags those are cheese graders

Old 02-11-2016, 09:28 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Dam it man! I'm trying to help out here!! LMAO!!!

Old 02-11-2016, 10:04 AM
dewayne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the overwhelming responses I've read it once and I'll read it a few more times..... So take the pioneers back and get the infinity 693.11i speakers I only say that because of budget but the Hdp4 will sound better with the kappa 6x9's ok I'm on it I'll head down to the audio shop in a few but before I do quick question WHY????? remember I'm a noob just trying to learn.....

Old 02-11-2016, 10:13 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

The Kappas sound significantly better and get louder.

They have better specs.

Quick Reply: Hertz, Diamond Audio , Pioneer install.....