Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra

My BT kit is being delivered tomorrow. Will consist of the following:

4180.14 amp

BT7.1(non pro) upper fairing speakers

BT 6.5 in the tour pack pods with Vtwin audio adapters(unless someone has figured a cheaper solution to fit them)

People at BT were so great, nice, patient and helpful! I'll get into more details as I proceed.

Came home a little early because I wanted to start taking the bike apart. You guys scared the heck out of me talking about how hard the three nasty bolts were to get out.

Took the tank off
Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-photo585.jpg
Then I move the driving lights to the lower bolt and snug it down a little to keep them out of the way
Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-photo432.jpg
Then remove the windshield then fairing
Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-photo462.jpg
Now for the right speaker pod. Come on guys it's not THAT hard(but thanks to all! Without you I would not have known that there was 3, lol). You can actually get a 3/8 drive socket and ratchet into the upper rear bolt without any extension or swivel if you just unhook this connection, you know, the one that's in the way, lol.
Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-photo979.jpg
A 1/4" socket, swivel and ratchet without a long or flex extension takes out the upper front and the bottom was the easiest. Took about 15 minutes including gathering tools. Now maybe a SG and or RG is set up different but my(non wet head) ultra was a piece of cake.
Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-photo557.jpg
The left side was even easier with the same method because there was more room.
Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-photo453.jpg
Now that everything is off its going to be a good time to clean the rocker boxes and everything else that's hard to clean with the tank on
Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-photo715.jpg
Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-photo919.jpg
Then I'll clean inside the fairing and treat the fairing gaskets with some 303 aerospace protectant
Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-photo430.jpg

I'm sure I'll have questions installing and hooking everything up, I'll post more as I install. Thanks to everyone here that has posted valuable information and experience, it's helped me get to this point.

Edit: can anyone see my picture?
Well, I posted this from my phone using the "garage talk" app. I can see my pics in the full forum but not on the app, weird?

Last edited by Greatsteaks; 03-17-2016 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
allen6747 (04-12-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Genius
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Off to a good start, not only that you are right on time!
LL247 (Jason) Should be shipping my setup here in a day or 2...
I went with the BT4180 amp also but decided to try (4) of the Arc Moto 602's
I have a 14 Ultra so your wright up will be of great help!
I haven't found anyone...yet running 4 602's in the (Fairing & Tour Pack) needless to say I'm eager to get installing & thumping!
BTW your pic's are nice...easy to see, will need to see more...thanks!

Old 03-17-2016, 08:44 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Lookin good so far! I just did the spacer mod between the inner fairing and the BT brackets. Just drill a hole in the brackets and use a 3/4" spacer and a 1/4" bolt into that upper boss, it really helped stiffen up the fairing.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:53 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Well, got the brackets on, the spacer mod and speakers installed.
Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-photo542.jpg
Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-photo653.jpg
Then the Amp, installed and wired up. Turned it on with the stock rear speakers still in because the alpines haven't been delivered yet. Set the fader to front only and turned the volume up and.......Sounded like crap, no base and not clear at all. Faded it to the rear and the stock rear speakers sound way better then the front BT 6.5's, WTF??? Called BT and talked to Bill, did a bunch of troubleshooting by swapping plugs around. Turns out the front radio output coming out of the break out harness sounds like crap. Run the front speakers off the rear output and sounds much much better. Bill is stumped thinking its a polarity problem. I'm just going to run the front on the rear output and rear on the front till Bill figures out what's up. Probably going to try a new break out harness. Now need to tidy this wire mess up. I'll post more pics tomorrow,

Old 03-19-2016, 12:07 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
Well, got the brackets on, the spacer mod and speakers installed.
Attachment 464363
Attachment 464364
Then the Amp, installed and wired up. Turned it on with the stock rear speakers still in because the alpines haven't been delivered yet. Set the fader to front only and turned the volume up and.......Sounded like crap, no base and not clear at all. Faded it to the rear and the stock rear speakers sound way better then the front BT 6.5's, WTF??? Called BT and talked to Bill, did a bunch of troubleshooting by swapping plugs around. Turns out the front radio output coming out of the break out harness sounds like crap. Run the front speakers off the rear output and sounds much much better. Bill is stumped thinking its a polarity problem. I'm just going to run the front on the rear output and rear on the front till Bill figures out what's up. Probably going to try a new break out harness. Now need to tidy this wire mess up. I'll post more pics tomorrow,
I am a big fan of BT and I like my system. However, it has had audio gremlins from the get go. First was a faulty 7.1 speaker that finally died, next a breakout harness that was missing a locking clip. Everything is back to normal now. I have had my fairing off so many times it is second nature to me. Bill at BT has been nothing short of spectacular with his support. I am sure you and Bill will get your system up and running correctly. Maybe I should have somebody send me a gremlin bell and install it under the fairing.
I continue to promote BikeTronics and I would not consider any other system for my bike.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Did you try taking the BO harness out of the picture?
Plug the front LL into Molex outputs.
Connect the RCA's from the LL to the front inputs on the amp.
Then connect the speakers wires from the front outputs on the amp to the speakers making sure polarity is correct.
You won't have rear speakers but if the front speakers sound as they should then you know there is a problem with the BO harness.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:30 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bertk
Did you try taking the BO harness out of the picture?
Plug the front LL into Molex outputs.
Connect the RCA's from the LL to the front inputs on the amp.
Then connect the speakers wires from the front outputs on the amp to the speakers making sure polarity is correct.
You won't have rear speakers but if the front speakers sound as they should then you know there is a problem with the BO harness.
If I remove the bo harness what do I plug the front LL into?

Old 03-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Well I did it a different way. Eliminated the amp. I plugged the BO harness plugs together making everything run strait through and had the same problem, rear was louder and no base. Then I removed the BO plugged the bike harness back like stock. Front and back were same loudness and base. It must be this BO harness.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

If I remove the bo harness what do I plug the front LL into?
Follow the front stock speaker wires back to the Molex connectors and unplug them. Put these wires aside for now.
Plug the front LL into into these Molex connectors.

Attached Thumbnails Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-molex-speaker-connecter.jpg   Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-front-ll.jpg  
Old 03-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Here is a pic of the front speakers wires unplugged and removed.

Attached Thumbnails Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra-pods-and-wires.jpg  

Quick Reply: Another Biketronics Install...2015 Ultra