Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14 Limited Audio - trigger has been pulled

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 03:42 PM
yank721
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
Took me a while to update this thread, but nothing earth shattering here.
Pod removal & outer fairing wasn't as bad as I expected - but I credit this forum for the heads up on both (mental preparation is half the game)
Couple of minor tweaks I made....

I liked the look of the solid black stock front grills, but not the grills themselves.
This is the HD mesh grill

I took the stock grill and separated the 'cloth' from the backing

Added a piece of speaker cloth to the backer

Installed that backer to the mesh grills

And this is what it looks like with the speaker installed. Completely black - which is the look I was going for.

Everything installed under the hood

Can't say enough about the quality vs cost of these Krystal Kable RCA's

Made my own rear speaker connector adapters using a combination of .250, .187, & .110 male & female spade connectors.
If I ever need to return to stock, it's a matter of removing the heat shrink & unplugging my extensions.

Ordered the 18" X 32" Dynamat from Amazon for 26 bucks and went to work
Coming in a roll, it's REALLY wrinkled. Meh, it's under the hood. Yeah, I own a roller and rolled the bejesus out of it - but it's still wrinkled.

I totally see what everyone means by the 7.1's being 'bright'. Pretty impressed with the Moto 602's in the rear tourpack. Overall, I'm quite pleased and it's a vast improvement over the stock crap. I'm trying to not go unicorn hunting, but it's an easy trap to fall in. For now, I'm leaving well enough alone.

Big shout-out for all the tips & tricks I obtained by,,,

PS - Running 1.19.0 software and did the Biketronics factory reset found here - http://www.biketronics.com/content/Reset.pdf
I did lose some FM reception, but I'm OK with that as I installed the Sirius XM module
wow good job man, im not going to post the pics of my dynamat job after seeing yours haha mine looks ugly lol.. I was impatient as usual lol.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:14 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

*** I updated the second post of this thread with 2 videos. ***

Bertk & Bunker - you guys are to blame! (or thank, I'm not sure which yet)
Posting your Rushmore videos and letting peons like me get all excited about good DYI audio. Easy pezy.

Haze - you started an (epic) thread stating details, details, details. It didn't go unnoticed, but details is what I come here to learn. And not just what major components to install.... Upgraded RCA's & Dynamat was part of it. Caulking backer rod to seal the BT brackets to the inner fairing and drilling the BT brackets to install spacers & bolts to stiffen up the inner fairing too. (red circles in photo) Even the placement of the equipment and how to attach it. Tips & tricks for removing pods/bolts and what to use in their place. The speaker connector sizes and even what the polarity is per speaker as they aren't the same. Hell, even my XM radio antenna placement came from HDforums. And for that - I give many thanks to the wealth of knowledge I've learned by coming here with an open mind willing to learn and leaving my ego at the door.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Great job! For those of you with Roadglides, does dynamat add to the SQ with the speaker pods (fairing) remain intact?

Old 07-13-2016, 08:11 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetglide Walt
Great job! For those of you with Roadglides, does dynamat add to the SQ with the speaker pods (fairing) remain intact?
I wrapped the outside of my pods with the Stinger equivalent because that's what my local guy carries

Polyfil /meh

Wrapping the pods = win

Old 07-14-2016, 12:49 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

One more tip. Fill in where HD skimped on the windshield gasket to help prevent leaks. Pickup up a windshield gasket from HD or use something similar to fill in the empty space.

Attached Thumbnails '14 Limited Audio - trigger has been pulled-gasket.jpg   '14 Limited Audio - trigger has been pulled-gasket-2.jpg  
Old 12-14-2016, 10:15 AM
micmoren
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

sub'd

Old 12-14-2016, 03:40 PM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

*** I updated the second post of this thread with 2 videos. ***

Bertk & Bunker - you guys are to blame! (or thank, I'm not sure which yet)
Posting your Rushmore videos and letting peons like me get all excited about good DYI audio. Easy pezy.

Haze - you started an (epic) thread stating details, details, details. It didn't go unnoticed, but details is what I come here to learn. And not just what major components to install.... Upgraded RCA's & Dynamat was part of it. Caulking backer rod to seal the BT brackets to the inner fairing and drilling the BT brackets to install spacers & bolts to stiffen up the inner fairing too. (red circles in photo) Even the placement of the equipment and how to attach it. Tips & tricks for removing pods/bolts and what to use in their place. The speaker connector sizes and even what the polarity is per speaker as they aren't the same. Hell, even my XM radio antenna placement came from HDforums. And for that - I give many thanks to the wealth of knowledge I've learned by coming here with an open mind willing to learn and leaving my ego at the door.

Hey brother, Super clean install! Would you mind pointing me to that epic thread? Thanks in advance.
W-

Old 12-15-2016, 06:44 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

The thread from Haze... It's not ~that~ long, but gets a bit derailed here & there.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...1-my-bike.html

The Official 2014 Upgrade thread used to be a sticky, but most of the info in the first 200 pages is kinda outdated, so they dropped it as a sticky and let it fade into the depths of the pages.

A short thread which is Bertk's result of various speakers. He started with a Biketronics package (7.1 fairing speakers & Arc Moto 602's) which is what got me to bite on the same package. It's tried & true, but guys are always looking for more.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-speakers.html

If you're looking for a decent write up (and a good number of posts) for a 2014 install, here ya go.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-a-newbie.html

Here's another good install thread
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...015-ultra.html

W - I asked the same question in the Rushmore forum and above is the response I got.

Last edited by MMXIWG; 12-15-2016 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
n2358 (03-19-2017)
Old 12-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
W - I asked the same question in the Rushmore forum and above is the response I got.
Thanks for sharing it bro!
W-

Old 12-18-2016, 09:25 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Baseman1, in post #12 you mention caulking the backer rods to seal the BT brackets to the inner fairing. Is there a thread on this? I understand the spacers, Dynamat and using quality RCAs but that one I need more info on.

Quick Reply: '14 Limited Audio - trigger has been pulled